Complex classical fields

In summary, classical supergravity theories use complex scalar fields to describe the interactions between particles and antiparticles, and the behavior of these fields at the origin can be altered by the presence of a brane. The fields are still real and their complex nature is important in understanding their interactions. For further reading, check out "Supergravity" by Daniel Z. Freedman and Antoine Van Proeyen, and "An Introduction to Supergravity" by Peter C. West.
Professor_E
In my readings I came across some solutions of classical supergravity theories that are hard to understand. I am hoping some of you can give me either an explanation or a source to read.
Consider a classical complex scalar field phi. Its complex conjugate is phi*. But some solutions I found imply that phi and phi* are complex conjugates of each other only at radial infinity, but not when you get too close to the origin (a brane is at the origin). What is the physical meaning of this? Isn't reality of the fields lost?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question about classical supergravity theories and the behavior of complex scalar fields. This is a very interesting topic and I am happy to provide some clarification.

Firstly, it is important to understand that classical supergravity theories are mathematical models used to describe the gravitational interactions between particles in the universe. These theories are based on the principles of general relativity and incorporate the concept of supersymmetry, which relates fermions and bosons.

Now, let's focus on the specific issue you mentioned about the behavior of complex scalar fields. In classical supergravity theories, complex scalar fields are often used to describe the interactions between particles and their antiparticles. These fields have a complex nature, meaning that they have both a real and imaginary component.

In the solutions you came across, it is true that the complex scalar field and its complex conjugate are only equal at radial infinity. This is because at the origin, there is a brane present which creates a boundary condition that alters the behavior of the fields. This does not mean that the reality of the fields is lost. In fact, the fields are still real and their complex nature plays an important role in describing the interactions between particles and antiparticles.

To better understand this concept, I recommend reading some introductory material on complex scalar fields and their role in classical supergravity theories. Some sources that may be helpful include "Supergravity" by Daniel Z. Freedman and Antoine Van Proeyen, and "An Introduction to Supergravity" by Peter C. West.

I hope this helps clarify the physical meaning of the solutions you found and provides some sources for further reading. Thank you for your interest in this topic and keep exploring the fascinating world of classical supergravity theories.

Thank you for sharing your findings and questions about classical supergravity theories and complex scalar fields. I can definitely understand your confusion and desire for further explanation.

Firstly, let me clarify that classical supergravity theories are theoretical frameworks that aim to unify the principles of general relativity and supersymmetry. They are often used in theoretical physics and string theory to study the behavior of supersymmetric systems.

Now, moving on to your question about complex scalar fields, let's first define what a scalar field is. A scalar field is a mathematical function that assigns a scalar value (a number) to every point in space. In classical physics, scalar fields are used to describe physical quantities such as temperature, density, and pressure, among others.

In the case of a complex scalar field, the scalar value assigned to each point in space is a complex number, which can be represented by a combination of a real part and an imaginary part. This means that the field has both magnitude and direction at each point in space.

Now, coming to your observation about the complex conjugates of the field at different points in space, it is important to note that in classical field theory, the reality of a field is not a fundamental property. Instead, it is a consequence of the equations of motion and boundary conditions.

In the case of a brane (a physical object with a higher-dimensional boundary) at the origin, the boundary conditions can change the behavior of the field near the origin. This can result in a situation where the complex conjugates of the field are not equal to each other near the origin, but they still approach each other as you move towards infinity.

The physical meaning of this is that the field is still real and well-behaved at points far away from the brane, but its behavior near the brane is affected by the presence of the boundary. This is a common phenomenon in physics, where boundary conditions can significantly influence the behavior of a system.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify your doubts. If you are interested in further reading, I suggest looking into the concept of boundary conditions in classical field theory and how they can affect the reality of a field. Thank you for your question and happy exploring!

1. What are complex classical fields?

Complex classical fields are mathematical representations of physical phenomena that have both a real and imaginary component. They are described by complex numbers and can be used to model a variety of systems, such as electromagnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and quantum fields.

2. What is the difference between a complex classical field and a real classical field?

The main difference between a complex classical field and a real classical field is that the former has both a real and imaginary component, while the latter only has a real component. Complex classical fields are used to model more complex physical systems that cannot be fully described by real numbers alone.

3. How are complex classical fields used in science?

Complex classical fields are used in science to model and understand physical systems that cannot be fully described by real numbers. They are used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to solve complex problems and make predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

4. What are some examples of complex classical fields?

Some examples of complex classical fields include the electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism, the velocity and pressure fields in fluid dynamics, and the wave function in quantum mechanics. These fields are all described by complex numbers and have both real and imaginary components.

5. How are complex classical fields related to quantum fields?

Complex classical fields are closely related to quantum fields. In fact, quantum fields are described by complex numbers and can be seen as the quantum version of classical fields. However, quantum fields also have unique properties such as quantization and superposition that make them distinct from classical fields.