Transferring to WashU: Is It Possible?

• Thread starter uncfelt1147
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transferring
In summary, the speaker is considering transferring from Georgetown College to Washington University in St. Louis due to their triple major and desire to focus on physics. They are wondering if they can finish their degree at Georgetown in philosophy and math, then transfer to complete a physics major at WashU. They are also curious if this would increase their chances of getting into a good graduate school. The speaker mentions that WashU offers scholarships for four years regardless of when a student enrolls. They express interest in finishing their foundational majors before focusing on physics, as they currently have limited experience in the subject. Another person advises them to stick with their current school and finish their degree there, as the size of their undergraduate institution will not impact their chances of getting into graduate
uncfelt1147
So, I am thinking about transferring from Georgetown College (KY), where I currently attend, to Washington University in St. Louis. I am actually a junior, but because of my triple major I will have to stay longer than four years wherever I attend. What I am wondering is if there is anyway I could finish my degree at Georgetown for only Philosophy and Math (two of my current majors, those of which I have taken the most classes), and then transfer to WashU, or wherever, and do a physics major (like a year and a half kind of thing or something). Is this something that can be done? Would it be easier to get into somewhere good this way? I know that at WashU you get whatever scholarship that you receive for four years no matter when you get in...this just seems like an interesting to me because I could finish my two foundational majors first, then hit into physics hard, which is kind of what I am doing now since I only have about 12 hours of physics. Any answers would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd stick with the school you are in and finish everything there. Being from a small school will not make any difference on getting into grad school.

Check to see if your WashU scholarship and/or financial aid is still valid once you have your first bachelor's degree.

1. Can I transfer to WashU from another university?

Yes, it is possible to transfer to WashU from another university. WashU accepts transfer students for both fall and spring semesters and has a specific application process for transfer students.

2. What are the requirements for transferring to WashU?

The requirements for transferring to WashU vary depending on your current academic standing and the number of credits you have completed. Generally, transfer students are expected to have completed at least one full year of college coursework and have a strong academic record.

3. Do I need to submit SAT or ACT scores as a transfer student?

No, transfer students are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores. However, if you have completed less than one year of college coursework, you may be required to submit these scores.

4. Are there any specific majors that are more difficult to transfer into?

Some majors at WashU have limited space and may be more competitive for transfer students. These include programs in the School of Engineering and the Olin Business School. However, transfer students can apply to any major at WashU and are evaluated based on their academic record and fit for the program.

5. When should I apply for transfer to WashU?

The transfer application deadlines for WashU vary depending on whether you are applying for the fall or spring semester. Generally, the deadline for fall transfer is March 1st and the deadline for spring transfer is October 15th. It is recommended to apply as early as possible to increase your chances of admission.