(UV finite)LQG @Strings 2008-Rovelli's slide #20

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slide
In summary: Demystifier responds:LGQ is not 'UV finite'. There are many ways to 'define' UV finiteness, some of which are more powerful than others....The fact that LQG is not UV finite does not mean it is not a theory of the universe. It may be that there are some loopholes in the proof, but at this point it is still the only theory that can account for all the data.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
(UV finite)LQG @Strings 2008--Rovelli's slide #40

Rovelli was invited by the organizers of the annual strings conference, Strings 2008, to give a plenary session talk outlining the main features of Loop Quantum Gravity. The talk got an unusually lively response, prompting a number of interesting questions which spilled over into the break and had to be continued outside in the lobby. A video is available online at the CERN website, and there is a PDF of the slides. For this short, basic-level, talk, Rovelli used 40 slides. Here is slide #40, his summary---a kind of thumbnail sketch of LQG.
============================
IV. Summary

• Loop quantum gravity is a technique for defining Diff-invariant QFT. It offers a radically new description of space and time by merging in depth QFT with the diff-invariance introduced by GR.

• It provides a quantum theory of GR plus the standard model in 4d, which is naturally UV finite and has a discrete structure of space at Planck scale.

• Has applications in cosmology, black hole physics, astrophysics; it resolves black hole and big bang singularities.

- Unrelated to a natural unification of the forces (we are not at the “end of physics”).
- Different versions of the dynamics exist.
- Low-energy limit still in progress.
+ Fundamental degrees of freedom explicit.
+ The theory is consistent with today’s physics.
+ No need of higher dimensions (high-d formulation possible).
+ No need of supersymmetry (supersymmetric theories possible).
+ Consistent with, and based on, basic QM and GR insights.
=====endquote=====

Note that work on the low-energy limit is in progress, and different versions of the dynamics still exist. I think a key word in the second bullet is provide----the idea that LQG offers a platform on which the particle fields of QFT can be defined, and thus on which the standard model can be based. LQG is of course concerned with spacetime geometry and typically does not try to unify forces or contain the standard model. I don't fully grasp what he means in the second bullet.

I would welcome attempts to clarify not only the second bullet, but any of these points. You may wish to look through the full set of 40 slides. The 43 minute video explains and elaborates somewhat. It's interesting to see what questions the string audience had at the end.

Here are the slides:
http://indico.cern.ch/getFile.py/access?contribId=30&resId=0&materialId=slides&confId=21917
Here is the video:
http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1121957?ln=en

The talk itself lasted 30 minutes, after which there were 13 minutes of Q and A, which the moderator cut short and said must be continued at coffee outside the hall. Interesting document :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Fra, you beat me to it! :biggrin: You found the llnk and posted, while I was still hunting for it. I edited it into my post. Thanks.
(I see I initially typed the number of slides wrong. It should be 40, not 20. I corrected this to the extent possible.)

One thing that prompted me to ask for clarification was this recent exchange between Haelfix and Demystifier in the "Background Independence" thread:
Haelfix said:
LGQ has absolutely not been shown *yet* to be 'UV finite' however string theory is completely UV finite...

Demystifier said:
First, as far as I know, in string theory UV finiteness is shown rigorously only for 1 and 2 loops, while a rigorous proof for arbitrary number of loops is still lacking.

Second, as far as I know, UV finiteness of LQG is shown rigorously (LQG is defined non-perturbatively) to be a consequence of compactness of SU(2) or SO(3).

Haelfix said:
If LQG was UV finite, it would be a big deal. Last I check, no one had shown that...

Last edited:

What is "(UV finite)LQG @Strings 2008-Rovelli's slide #20"?

"(UV finite)LQG @Strings 2008-Rovelli's slide #20" refers to a presentation given by theoretical physicist Carlo Rovelli at the 2008 Strings conference. The presentation discussed a proposed solution to the UV divergence problem in Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG) by using techniques from String Theory.

What is UV divergence?

UV divergence, or ultraviolet divergence, is a problem in quantum field theory where calculations produce infinite values when the energy scale of the system approaches infinity. This is problematic because it suggests that the theory breaks down at high energy scales and cannot accurately describe the behavior of particles at those scales.

What is Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG)?

Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG) is a theory that attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity by quantizing the fabric of spacetime itself. It proposes that spacetime is made up of small units or "loops" and that gravity is a manifestation of the curvature of these loops.

What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature by describing particles as tiny vibrating strings. It is still a developing theory and has not yet been experimentally proven.

How does Rovelli's proposed solution address the UV divergence problem in LQG?

Rovelli's proposed solution involves incorporating techniques from String Theory into LQG. By using the concept of "string bits," or small units of spacetime, Rovelli suggests that LQG can avoid the infinite values that arise in calculations at high energy scales. This would allow LQG to provide a more complete and accurate description of the behavior of particles at all energy scales.