Study Tips for Calc-Based Physics Test

• Studying
  • Thread starter 2slowtogofast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the conversation discussed the upcoming calc based physics ll test and the struggle to prepare for it due to difficulties with working problems independently. Suggestions were given for resources such as 3000 Solved Problems in Physics and the solution manual for University Physics. However, the expert summarizer disagrees with relying on others' solutions and emphasizes the importance of working problems on one's own.
2slowtogofast
I have a calc based physics ll test coming up. its going to be on circuits with capacitor resistors current power and things like that. what would be the best way to prepare for this. i find it very hard to do problems out of my book because if i get stuck on step i can't get help b/c i don't have the solutions. maybe there is a site with worked out problems or somthing. any advice is apreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
2slowtogofast said:
i find it very hard to do problems out of my book because if i get stuck on step i can't get help b/c i don't have the solutions

And when the same thing happens on a test, how do you plan to deal with it?

There's no substitute for working problems. Certainly not looking at other people's solutions!

Pick up 3000 Solved Problems in Physics. I find it to be a very good study aid.

Vanadium 50 said:
And when the same thing happens on a test, how do you plan to deal with it?

There's no substitute for working problems. Certainly not looking at other people's solutions!

I don't think that is a very good answer. We all get stuck on problems sometimes, I don't care who you are.

Anyway, one person already mentioned a decent book. There are others out there like it. University Physics has a solution manual for its text if you use that text, if not, pick up an old copy dirt cheap.

Obviously, I disagree. Relying on other people's solutions builds a dependence on those solutions. Just look at how many questions here start "I understand the material - I just can't work any problems".

1. How do I prepare for a calc-based physics test?

To prepare for a calc-based physics test, it is important to review all the material covered in class. This includes going over lecture notes, textbook chapters, and any additional readings or practice problems. It may also be helpful to work through old homework assignments and quizzes to reinforce your understanding of the material.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for calc-based physics?

Practice is key when it comes to improving problem-solving skills in calc-based physics. Work through a variety of problems, including both simple and complex ones, to gain a better understanding of the concepts and how to apply them. It may also be helpful to seek out extra resources, such as online tutorials or study groups, for additional practice and support.

3. What is the best way to study for a calc-based physics test?

The best way to study for a calc-based physics test is to start early and consistently review the material. Make sure to understand the concepts and equations rather than just memorizing them. It may also be helpful to create study aids, such as flashcards or summary sheets, to help with retention and understanding.

4. How important is it to understand calculus for a calc-based physics test?

Understanding calculus is crucial for a calc-based physics test. Many concepts in physics, such as velocity and acceleration, require an understanding of calculus to fully grasp. Make sure to review any calculus concepts that may be relevant to the material covered in the test.

5. Are there any specific study strategies or tips for preparing for a calc-based physics test?

Some helpful study strategies for a calc-based physics test include reviewing and summarizing lecture notes, working through practice problems, and seeking help from a tutor or study group if needed. It may also be beneficial to break up studying into smaller chunks over a longer period of time, rather than cramming all at once. Additionally, make sure to get enough rest and eat well before the test to ensure your brain is functioning at its best.