Switching fields cs to math

• Thread starter icantadd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs Fields
In summary, when applying to graduate programs in mathematics, it is important to carefully research and consider the requirements and focus of each program, as well as your own qualifications and experience. The GRE is important, but not the only factor, and there are options available for those who may not have taken all the required courses.
icantadd
I am a m.s. student of Computer Science at a small university. I have taken
Calculus 1-3
Linear Alegbra
Applied Matrix Techniques
Elementary Stats
UpperLevel Probability
Real Analysis
(spring) Abstract Algebra
I have gotten A's in all the above.
I also have 4.0 gpa as a grad. student. I am planning on taking the GRE general test soon. I have a couple papers being published, and a couple more on the way. One or two math papers. I should leave with no less than 4 publications, although some or most won't be published till post graduation. I also did the thesis track, will be wrapping up my thesis over the winter break.

I am really interested in theory,topology, and algebra (though I haven't formally studied it yet). How can I apply to graduate programs for mathematics, and how important is the subject GRE. Since I haven't taken abstract algebra, I am scared to take it, heard all the questions are on rings.

I am thinking about applying to schools that handle theoretical computer science or that do pure math. I don't really know where to start looking, and I am scared I lack the required background. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The most important thing to do when applying to graduate programs in mathematics is to research the programs carefully. It's important to look at the specific requirements and coursework of each program, so you can determine whether or not you have the qualifications necessary to be admitted. You should also take the time to read up on the faculty of the department, so you can get an idea of their research interests and focus. In terms of the GRE, it is important, but it is not the only factor that will be taken into account when making admissions decisions. Your undergraduate coursework and GPA are also important, as is your research experience. Additionally, if you are applying to programs that involve theoretical computer science, you may need to demonstrate your knowledge in this area through additional coursework or exams. Finally, it is important to note that even if you haven't taken a course in abstract algebra, there are still many graduate programs that would be a good fit for you. Some programs may accept you without having taken a course in abstract algebra, or they may require you to take an additional course once you are enrolled. Additionally, some programs may offer introductory courses in abstract algebra that you could take to give yourself a better foundation in the subject before applying.

First of all, congratulations on your achievements in computer science and your successful transition into mathematics! It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to excel in both fields. Based on your coursework and GPA, it seems like you have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in areas such as calculus, linear algebra, and probability. Your interest in theory, topology, and algebra is also a good indication of your potential for graduate studies in mathematics.

In terms of applying to graduate programs in mathematics, it is important to research and find schools that have a strong program in your areas of interest. Look for faculty members who have expertise in the topics you are interested in and reach out to them to express your interest and ask for advice. They may also be able to provide you with information about the application process and what they look for in potential students.

As for the subject GRE, it is often required by graduate programs in mathematics, but its importance may vary depending on the school. Some schools may place more weight on it, while others may focus more on your overall academic record and research experience. It is always a good idea to prepare and do your best on the exam, but don't let your fear of abstract algebra hold you back. You have a strong background in other areas of mathematics that can compensate for any weaknesses in abstract algebra.

Overall, my suggestion would be to reach out to faculty members and graduate students in the mathematics departments of the schools you are interested in and ask for their advice and guidance. They can provide valuable insights and help you navigate the application process. Good luck with your applications and future studies in mathematics!

1. What skills from computer science can be applied to mathematics?

Computer science and mathematics share a strong foundation in logic and problem-solving. Many programming languages also use mathematical concepts such as algorithms and data structures, making it easier for computer science students to understand mathematical concepts.

2. Is it difficult to transition from computer science to mathematics?

While there may be some challenges, such as learning new mathematical notation and terminology, the problem-solving skills and analytical thinking developed in computer science can make the transition smoother. It may also be helpful to take some introductory math courses to build a strong foundation.

3. Are there any career opportunities for someone with a background in both computer science and math?

Absolutely! Many industries, such as finance, data science, and artificial intelligence, require professionals with a strong background in both computer science and mathematics. These skills can also be applied to research and academia.

4. Can I still pursue a career in computer science with a degree in mathematics?

Yes, a degree in mathematics can still lead to a career in computer science. Many programming and software development positions value strong mathematical skills, and having a solid understanding of mathematical concepts can give you an advantage in these roles.

5. What resources are available to help me make the transition from computer science to mathematics?

There are many online resources, such as tutorials, practice problems, and forums, that can help you learn mathematical concepts and notation. Additionally, many universities offer support services for students transitioning between fields, such as tutoring and peer mentoring programs.