Proving the non-homogeneity of x_4 = (0, 2, 2, 0)^T should be a similar process.

In summary, linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and data analysis. A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude and direction, typically represented using column matrices. Matrices are rectangular arrays used to represent linear transformations and solve systems of linear equations. Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important concepts in linear algebra, used in applications such as principal component analysis and diagonalizing matrices.
transgalactic
i got a set of linear equations with x,y,z,t variables.

x=4,y=-2,z=-2,t=4 is a solution
x=-2 y=4 z=4 t=-2 is a solution

x=2,y=2,z=2,t=2 is not a solution.

prove that this set is not homogeneous ?
prove that x=0,y=2,z=2,t=0 is a solution?

??

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not clear as to what homogenous here means. On the other hand, if a set of linear equations has more than one solutions, then it has infinite number of solutions. That allows you to come up with a general solution given just two specific possible solutions. This should help you with part 2.

transgalactic said:
i got a set of linear equations with x,y,z,t variables.

x=2,y=2,z=2,t=2 is not a solution.

prove that this set is not homogeneous ?

prove that x=0,y=2,z=2,t=0 is a solution?

??
I believe that by "homogeneous" here, you mean that the equations are of the form
[itex]a_1x+ b_1y+ c_1z+ d_1t= 0[/itex]
[itex]a_2x+ b_2y+ c_2z+ d_2t= 0[/itex]
[itex]a_3x+ b_3y+ c_3z+ d_3t= 0[/itex]
[itex]a_4x+ b_4y+ c_4z+ d_4t= 0[/itex]
That is the same as the matrix equation
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cccc}a_1 & b_1 & c_1 & d_1 \\a_2 & b_2 & c_2 & d_2 \\a_3 & b_3 & c_3 & d_3 \\a_4 & b_4 & c_4 & d_4 \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} x \\ y \\ z \\ t\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{c}0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{array}\right][/tex]

Such an equation will have a unique solution if and only if the coefficient matrix is invertible. Since this has at least two solutions, the coefficient matrix is not invertible. Since there are at least two solutions, the coefficient matrix is not invertible. If it were homogeneous, then any linear combination of solutions would also be a solution: if [itex]Ax_1= 0[/itex] and [itex]Ax_2= 0[/itex] then [itex]A(cx_1+ dx_2)= cAx_1+ dAx_2= 0[/itex]

how to prove that
x=0,y=2,z=2,t=0 is not a solution?

You're supposed to prove it's a solution, you mean.

i am supposed
but i don't know how??

You said you have a set of linear equations (which you didn't show). Replace x, y, z, and t with 0, 2, 2, and 0, respectively, on the expressions on the left side of the equations you have. You should get 0 on the right side of all of your equations.

i got a crazy idea
if i use this given sentences and transform them into equations:

(4,-2,-2,4)+2*(-2,4,4,-2)=(0,6,6,0)=3*(0,2,2,0)

so i got my solution that i suppose to prove from algebraic manipulation

is that a proove??
if it is what formal words do i need to say in order to confirm this method?

Sort of.
Here's the situation as I see it (necessariy sketchy, since you didn't provide many details):
You have a system of equations which I will represent as a matrix equation:
Ax = 0

Any vector x in R^4 is a solution to the equation above if A times x equals the zero vector.

You are given that for x_1 = (4, -2, -2, 4)^T and x_2 = (-2, 4, 4, -2),
A*x_1 = 0 and A*x_2 = 0.

For x_3 = (0, 2, 2, 0), you have shown that x_3 is a linear combination of x_1 and x_2, namely x_3 = 1/3*x_1 + 2/3*x_2.
By the linearity of matrix multiplication A*x_3 = A*(1/3*x_1 + 2/3*x_2)
You should be able to fill in what's missing at the end to show that x_3 is a solution to the homogeneous equation Ax = 0.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves studying the properties and operations of vectors and matrices, and how they can be used to solve systems of linear equations.

2. What are the applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and data analysis. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, perform dimensionality reduction, and analyze data through methods like principal component analysis and linear regression.

3. What is a vector and how is it represented?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude and direction. It can be represented visually as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction. In linear algebra, vectors are typically represented using column matrices.

4. What is a matrix and how is it used in linear algebra?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables. In linear algebra, matrices are used to represent linear transformations and to solve systems of linear equations. They can also be used to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion.

5. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important concepts in linear algebra. Eigenvalues are scalar values that represent how a linear transformation stretches or compresses a vector. Eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors that are only scaled by the eigenvalue and not rotated. They are used in applications such as principal component analysis and diagonalizing matrices.