Finding absolute minimum and maximum values

In summary, the task is to find the absolute minimum and maximum values of the function f(x,y) = e-x2-y2(x2+2y2) on the set D, where D is the disk x2+y2 <= 4. The approach is to first find the critical points of the function by taking the partial derivatives fx and fy and setting them equal to 0. This yields five critical points: (0,0), (1,0), (-1,0), (0,1), and (0,-1). Then, the maximum and minimum values of f(x,y) on the boundary of the disk D must also be considered, which is the circle x2+y2=4. Setting up
grog

Homework Statement

Find the absolute minimum and maximum values of f on the set D.

f(x,y)= e-x2-y2(x2+2y2); D is the disk x2+y2 <= 4

Homework Equations

Second Derivatives test,
partial derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

fx(x,y) = 0 = (e-x2-y2)(-2x) + (x2+2y2)(-2x e-x2-y2)

fy(x,y) = 0 = (e-x2-y2)(4y) + (x2+2y2)(-2y e-x2-y2)

fxy(x,y) = (e-x2-y2)+(-2x)(-2y e-x2-y2) + (x2+2y2)(-2x*-2y e-x2-y2) + (-2x e-x2-y2)(4y)

fx and fy simplify to:
fx (x,y) = 1+x2+2y2 = 0
fy (x,y) = -2y+x2+2y2 = 0

I'm stymied here because the equation I get for fx seems impossible to solve. Did I make a mistake differentiating?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there's a sign error in f_x. But f_y looks ok, and I don't think (4y)-(2y)*(x^2+2y^2) simplifies to what you got for f_y.

ah.

ok.

so I should have ended up with
fx= x2+2y2 -1 = 0 and
fy=x2+2y2-2 = 0

So to find the critical points I have to solve these two equations.

Would I be on the right track to say fxthen simplifies to (x-1)(x+1)+2y2 = 0

If so, I'm embarassed to say I'm still not sure how to proceed from here. I find the examples in my book don't really adapt themselves very well to the exercises, so I'm having trouble getting to the next step. : (

ok, so it looks like I got my approach wrong.

The way it's worked out it looks like the e distributes to the other term, and then I should differentiate, which yields

e-x^2-y^2*2x =- 2x^3*e-x^2-y^2

and
e-x^2-y^2 * 4y-4y^3e-x^2-y^2

which reduces to
2x(1-x^2) = 0
4y(1-y^2) = 0

so we have critical points at x=0,1,-1
and cp at y=0,1,-1

we also need to check for extreme values on the boundary.
now, the boundary function is [tex]x^2+y^2=4[/tex] so [tex]e^(-x^2+y^2)[/tex] is [tex]e^-4[/tex]

and means that [tex]x^2=4-y^2[/tex]
so if we plug into our original function, we get

[tex]f(y)=e^-4 (4-y^2+2y^2)[/tex] for -2<=y<=2

so
[tex]f'(y)=e^-4*2y=0[/tex]
solving for y we get y=0, and plugging that into our boundary equation [tex]x^2+y^2=4[/tex] and solving for x we get x=+/- 2

There's more, where I have to set something up with Lagrange, but I'm still working on understanding that part. I'll post the rest once I understand it a little better.

Of course, it doesn't necessarily follow that there is a critical point inside the circle- and even if there is the max or min are not necessarily there. It is also possible for the max or min (or both) to occur on the boundary of the set which, here, is the circle itself.

I get f_x=2x-2x(2y^2+x^2)*exp(...) and f_y=4y-2y(2y^2+x^2)*exp(...) and you came pretty close to getting it right the first time. I don't know what you did in your last response. I get five critical points.

What is the concept of finding absolute minimum and maximum values?

Finding absolute minimum and maximum values involves determining the smallest and largest values of a function or data set. This is important in many fields of science as it helps us understand the overall behavior of a system or phenomenon.

Why is it important to find the absolute minimum and maximum values?

Finding the absolute minimum and maximum values can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a system or phenomenon. It can help us identify critical points, determine the overall trend of a function, and make predictions based on the data.

How do you find the absolute minimum and maximum values of a function?

To find the absolute minimum and maximum values of a function, you can use various methods such as taking the derivative of the function and setting it to zero, using the first derivative test, or using the second derivative test. You can also graph the function and visually identify the minimum and maximum points.

What is the difference between absolute minimum and maximum values and local minimum and maximum values?

The absolute minimum and maximum values are the smallest and largest values of a function over its entire domain. Local minimum and maximum values, on the other hand, are the smallest and largest values within a specific interval or range of the function. A local minimum or maximum may not necessarily be the absolute minimum or maximum of the function.

What are some real-world applications of finding absolute minimum and maximum values?

Finding absolute minimum and maximum values has various real-world applications in fields such as economics, engineering, physics, and biology. For example, in economics, it can help determine the optimal production level for a company, and in engineering, it can help optimize the design of a structure. In physics, it can be used to analyze the motion of objects, and in biology, it can help determine the optimal conditions for growth and development of organisms.