Drooped down wingtip or the drooped up wingtip better for an RC plane?

• Thread starter sashankhrao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Rc
In summary, the conversation discusses the advantages and disadvantages of drooped down and drooped up wingtips for RC planes. The drooped down wingtip is known as the dihedral configuration and provides roll stability, while the drooped up wingtip is known as the anhedral configuration and offers more maneuverability. The positioning of the wingtip at an angle of approximately 120 degrees is also discussed. The use of winglets, known as wingtip fences when they go above and below the wing, is also mentioned. It is noted that a drooped down winglet may lower the landing crosswind limit and affect airline operations. The conversation also includes a link to an article for further information.
sashankhrao
Hi,

Can someone pls help me out in telling me whether the drooped down wingtip or the drooped up wingtip is better for an RC plane? I have read that the drooped down wingtip is better but none of the planes in production(commercial airliners) use it. They use the drooped up wingtip! Also, is an angle of approx. 120 degrees to the wing surface alright for the positioning of a new wingtip?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wingtips

Hi,

If I need to design a wingtip for an exisitng wing then what size must the wingtip be relative to the wing. If someone can help out by providing links or any info, I will really appreciate it!

(merged two similar threads)

What you call a drooping down is known as dihedral configuration, it enhances roll stability. It is so in almost all of the commercial planes. Drooping down is the anhedral configuration, & it gives more maneuverability, hence observed in few military & cargo planes.

You can easily prove the point by making a free body diagram of both configuration. In dihedral, lift(perpendicular to wing surface) produces a restoring moment while rolling. Try explaining to yourself why anhedral are high mounted wings(must have observed this on cargo planes)

Hi,

I think there seems to be some confusion.Pls take a look at this http://ojas.ucok.edu/96/T96/Jdavis.htm#Abs . I'm talking about the ends of the wings (wingtips). The second option in the link seems to be better than the third. However it is not used in any commercial airline.

Last edited by a moderator:

For a middle-school kid, that's a pretty good article, but generally what you describe are called "winglets".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winglets

Often (see the bottom of the article), if they go both above and below the wing, they are called a "wingtip fence".

sashankhrao said:
Hi,

Can someone pls help me out in telling me whether the drooped down wingtip or the drooped up wingtip is better for an RC plane? I have read that the drooped down wingtip is better but none of the planes in production(commercial airliners) use it. They use the drooped up wingtip! Also, is an angle of approx. 120 degrees to the wing surface alright for the positioning of a new wingtip?
A drooped down winglet (depending on size) will contact the runway at a noticably lower angle of bank than a turned up winglet. This will drastically lower the landing crosswind limit of the aircraft and will adversely affect airline operations.

russ_watters said:
For a middle-school kid, that's a pretty good article, but generally what you describe are called "winglets".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winglets

Often (see the bottom of the article), if they go both above and below the wing, they are called a "wingtip fence".

damn, go middle school kid. I think someone was helping him big time :rofl:

grant9076 said:
A drooped down winglet (depending on size) will contact the runway at a noticably lower angle of bank than a turned up winglet. This will drastically lower the landing crosswind limit of the aircraft and will adversely affect airline operations.

Haah. DUHHH...! Good observation, never thought about that!

1. Is a drooped down wingtip or a drooped up wingtip better for stability?

Both drooped down and drooped up wingtips can provide stability for an RC plane. It ultimately depends on the specific design and purpose of the plane. A drooped down wingtip can help reduce wingtip vortices, which can improve stability. However, a drooped up wingtip can also improve stability by providing a larger surface area for lift.

2. Will a drooped down wingtip or a drooped up wingtip improve the aerodynamics of my RC plane?

Yes, both drooped down and drooped up wingtips can improve the aerodynamics of an RC plane. A drooped down wingtip can help reduce drag and improve lift, while a drooped up wingtip can also improve lift and reduce the effects of turbulence.

3. Can a drooped down wingtip or a drooped up wingtip increase the control and maneuverability of my RC plane?

Yes, both drooped down and drooped up wingtips can improve the control and maneuverability of an RC plane. A drooped down wingtip can help decrease wingtip drag and improve the response of the plane, while a drooped up wingtip can also improve the handling and responsiveness of the plane.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a drooped down wingtip or a drooped up wingtip on an RC plane?

While both drooped down and drooped up wingtips can have benefits for an RC plane, there are also potential disadvantages. A drooped down wingtip can increase the weight and complexity of the plane, while a drooped up wingtip may not provide as much stability in certain flight conditions.

5. How do I know if a drooped down wingtip or a drooped up wingtip is right for my RC plane?

The best way to determine which type of wingtip is best for your RC plane is to consider the specific design and purpose of the plane, and to test different wingtip configurations in controlled flight experiments. Additionally, consulting with experienced RC pilots or conducting research on the aerodynamics of wingtips can also provide valuable insights.