Reaction of strontium nitrate + copper (II) sulfate pentachloride?

In summary, the student is trying to find the theoretical yield for strontium sulfate from reacting strontium nitrate and copper sulfate pentahydrate. The general approach seems to be OK, but the student may want to consult a handbook for more details.
sarcasma

Homework Statement

We are doing a lab where we react 2.00 g of strontium nitrate (dissolved in water) + 2.00 g of copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate (dissolved in water). I need to make sure that I did the balanced chemical equation right?
we eventually have to find the theoretical yield.

The Attempt at a Solution

Sr(NO3)2 (aq) + CuSO4(aq) -> SrSO4(s) + CU(NO3)2 (aq)

I'm not sure if i put the pentahydrate (5H2O) into the equation because I'm not sure where it goes, but i think i have to because the 2.00 g of copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate is partially H20?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like you are on the right track, although I am not sure if I have ever heard about copper (II) sulfate pentachloride :wink:

When calculating moles of copper sulfate you have to incorporate pentahydrate part into molar mass.

Try to write net ionic reaction, you will get rid of the copper then.

Copper is a little bit tricky here, as in the solution it is not present in the form of pentaaqua complex, but rather hexaaqua, which means that it reacts with water when dissolved. To make things more complicated copper nitrate solid will be hydrated as well, but for details you should consult some handbook. Net ionic reaction allows you to ignore all these problems.

oops i meant pentahydrate, haha sorry, i edited it. :)

will it be just ok if i use this equation, since that looks really complicated and I'm not really dealing with the other stuff, just the precipitate SrSO4

Sr(NO3)2 (aq) + CuSO4.5(H2O) (aq) -> SrSO4(s) + Cu(NO3)2 (aq) + 5(H2O)

then i would
1. find the mol for Sr(NO3)2 and CuSO4.5(H2O)-> 0.009450 mol and 0.008009 mol
2. find the limiting reagent-> CuSO4.5(H2O)
3.use ratios to find the theoretical yield for SrSO4 -> 1.471 g
4. percentage yield, i got 1.41 g in my experiment, so -> 95.9%

would this be right?

alright, thanks for the help !

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between strontium nitrate and copper (II) sulfate pentachloride?

The chemical equation for this reaction is: Sr(NO3)2 + CuSO4·5H2O → SrSO4 + Cu(NO3)2 + 5H2O + Cl2

2. What type of reaction occurs when strontium nitrate and copper (II) sulfate pentachloride are combined?

This is a double displacement reaction, also known as a metathesis reaction. This type of reaction involves the exchange of ions between two compounds, resulting in the formation of two new compounds.

3. What are the products of the reaction between strontium nitrate and copper (II) sulfate pentachloride?

The products of this reaction are strontium sulfate, copper (II) nitrate, water, and chlorine gas. Strontium sulfate and copper (II) nitrate are the new compounds formed, while water and chlorine gas are released as byproducts.

4. How can the reaction between strontium nitrate and copper (II) sulfate pentachloride be sped up?

This reaction can be sped up by increasing the surface area of the reactants, increasing the temperature, or adding a catalyst. These methods can help increase the frequency of collisions between particles, leading to a faster reaction rate.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when performing the reaction between strontium nitrate and copper (II) sulfate pentachloride?

As with any chemical reaction, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when performing this reaction. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, working in a well-ventilated area, and being cautious when handling chemicals. In addition, it is important to carefully measure and mix the reactants to avoid any potential hazards.