Quadratic equation without numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a quadratic equation without numbers and using the quadratic formula to simplify the equation. The final solution involves simplifying a square root by factoring out a common term. The importance of posting one's work is emphasized as it can help in finding the solution.
lax1113
Quadratic equation without numbers??

How would one go about solving an equation such as B2X2+2ABCX-ABC2 for the value of x that equals zero?

All of the letters are constants except for X, so would this be a quadratic equation problem.?

The solution in the book is somehow

x=(AC/B){[tex]\sqrt{1+(B/A)}[/tex])-1}

that -1 on the end is not the the negative 1 power, but -1

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes. It's just a quadratic equation. Take the quadratic formula and put 'a'=B^2, 'b'=2ABC and 'c'=-ABC^2. Then simplify.

ok thanks dick,
I did that before but simplifying it I could never get down to an answer that looked the same. Seemed like it would be some hardcore manipulation to get it to be that.

With the answer in front of me, I was able to do it in one step. Feel free to post your work if you continue having difficulty.

dasch...

Are you a savant? just kidding bud, but seriously you can simplify that just like that? I honestly have used 3 maybe 4 pieces of computer paper, and its just not working out for me. Do you have an aim or something that I could communicate with you with that i could get a step through of this? Or maybe just using pm's here or whatever.

lax1113 said:
dasch...

Are you a savant? just kidding bud, but seriously you can simplify that just like that? I honestly have used 3 maybe 4 pieces of computer paper, and its just not working out for me. Do you have an aim or something that I could communicate with you with that i could get a step through of this? Or maybe just using pm's here or whatever.

You would make it a lot easier for people to help you if you would post what you got and how you are trying to simplify it. It's not THAT hard.

sorry,
That approach does seem a lot better, just hard to write out the long strings of numbers sometimes on this site. And as to the being hard thing, I am only a high schol student, most of you are college grads and teachers/professors, so it might seem simple to many of you, but imagine the first time you ever did it, most likely different. Anyway,

After quadratic equation i got this.

(-AC +/- [tex]\sqrt{(AC)^2-(B)(-AC^2}[/tex]) all divided by B

I took the 4 inside the square root and the 2^2 outside of the root as a 2, then the 2 in from tof -AC and the 2 on the denominator all canceled out.

Now where to?

You are already almost done. The square root is sqrt((AC)^2+(AC)^2*B/A), right? I just pulled (AC)^2 out of both terms. Now factor AC out of the square root.

woooooow...

I really cannot believe I looked at this for this long and never saw that. Thank you very much, I don't know why i wasn't getting that, but now i see it, and finally got it!

See how much posting your work helps? Good job.

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical expression in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is also known as a second-degree polynomial equation.

2. What is the general form of a quadratic equation without numbers?

The general form of a quadratic equation without numbers is ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are variables instead of constants. This form is used when solving for the unknown values of a, b, and c.

3. How do you solve a quadratic equation without numbers?

To solve a quadratic equation without numbers, you must first convert it into the general form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. Then, you can use the quadratic formula (x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a) or factorization method to find the solutions for x.

4. Can a quadratic equation without numbers have multiple solutions?

Yes, a quadratic equation without numbers can have multiple solutions. This depends on the values of the variables a, b, and c. If the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is greater than 0, there will be two real solutions. If the discriminant is equal to 0, there will be one real solution. If the discriminant is less than 0, there will be two complex solutions.

5. What is the difference between a quadratic equation with numbers and without numbers?

The main difference between a quadratic equation with numbers and without numbers is that in the latter, the constants a, b, and c are variables instead of specific numbers. This makes it more general and allows for solving for any unknown values of a, b, and c, rather than just solving for a specific set of numbers.