Weekly Lab Sessions: Guide to Keeping a Good Lab Book

• Thread starter welshelmo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation is about a university-level physics course that includes weekly 4-hour lab sessions. The speaker is seeking guidance on how to keep a good lab book while conducting experiments and asks if anyone knows of any helpful websites or resources. They have also asked for guidance from the professor but have only received around 60% in their lab book. The suggestion is made to politely ask a successful classmate for guidance.
welshelmo
Hi,

Im on a university level physics course and we do weekly 4 hour sessions in the labs doing a different experiment every week.

I don't have a specific question.

I am asking if anyone has any guidence on keep a good lab book while doing the experiment?

They have given us pointers and I've asked a few times for some guidence but still seem to only get around 60%

I currently try to give as much info as to what I'm trying to do and what i think of results etc, I calculate errors etc.

Does anyone know any good sites with guides to writing them etc?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
welshelmo said:
They have given us pointers and I've asked a few times for some guidence but still seem to only get around 60%

Different professors have different expectations, so it's difficult to give any clear-cut advice. I would recommend that you politely ask a fellow student in your class who does well on the labs if you can review their work.

1. What is the purpose of keeping a lab notebook?

The purpose of keeping a lab notebook is to document and record all of the steps, procedures, and observations made during a scientific experiment. It serves as a permanent and organized record of the scientific process and allows for reproducibility of results.

2. What should be included in a lab notebook?

A lab notebook should include the date, title of the experiment, objectives, materials and equipment used, procedures, results, observations, and any calculations or data analysis. It should also include any changes or modifications made during the experiment, as well as any potential sources of error.

3. How should a lab notebook be organized?

A lab notebook should be organized in a chronological order, with each entry dated and titled. It should also have a table of contents for easy reference. Additionally, it is important to use a consistent format and to leave room for revisions and additional notes.

4. How often should a lab notebook be updated?

A lab notebook should be updated every time a new experiment is conducted or any changes are made to an ongoing experiment. It is important to record information in the lab notebook in real-time to ensure accuracy and prevent any important details from being forgotten.

5. Why is it important to keep a good lab notebook?

A good lab notebook is essential for record-keeping, data analysis, and reproducibility of results. It also serves as a legal document in case of patent disputes or intellectual property claims. Additionally, it allows for easy communication and collaboration with other scientists and is a valuable resource for future reference and publications.