Basis - Complex Vector Space and Real Vector Space

In summary, when given a basis {e1,...,en} for a complex vector space X, a possible basis for X regarded as a real vector space is {e1,ie1,...,en,ien}. The dimension of X in either case is n.
azdang

Homework Statement

Let {e1,...,en} be a basis for a complex vector space X. Find a basis for X regarded as a real vector space. What is the dimension of X in either case?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure where to begin with this question.
Are the ej's something like (i, 0, 0,...), (0,i,0,...)?
If so, could we take {ie1,...,ien} as the basis for X regarded as a real vector space?

Also, I think that the dimension in either case is n. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the case when n=1 and try to generalize. Notice that over C:

a*e1 = (x+iy)e1 = xe1 + yie1

And this is zero if and only if x and y are, so we immediately get that e1 and ie1 are linearly independent.

Thank you for your response.

I definitely see why that is true, but I am confused as to what role that fact plays into this problem. Do you think you could explain it? Thanks so much.

The point is that over C, e1 and i*e1 are not linearly independent. Over R, they are.

A blast from the past:
Sorry, I did a search, and got this post; thought it would be better to followup on
it instead of doing a new post:

Is this considered to be the canonical way of turning an n- complex vector space into
a 2n-real vector space.?. I mean, there are many ways of getting a real basis once
we are given a complex basis, but this one seems to be nice in that the original basis
seems to be somehow "embedded" in the real basis {e1,ie1,...,en,ien}.

Also: is there a construction that allows us to go in the opposite direction, i.e.,
we are given an n-real vector space V_r , and we want to construct a complex
vector space in which V_r is " embedded" , in the sense that if we were to forget/drop
the complex part, we would get V_r back, i.e., if we took the basis {e1,ie1,..,en,ien}
as above, and we ignored the vectors iej , to get the vector space V_r with basis:
{e1,e2,...,en}. Is this the complexification of V_r.?

Thanks.

You are really just talking about choices of basis here. {e1,(1+i)e1...en,(1+i)en} is also a 2n vector real basis for the complex space. The 'real' part is still embedded in there. It's all pretty arbitrary, as far as I know.

1. What is the difference between a complex vector space and a real vector space?

A complex vector space is a vector space in which the scalar field is complex numbers, while a real vector space is a vector space in which the scalar field is real numbers. This means that the elements of a complex vector space can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by complex numbers, while the elements of a real vector space can only be added, subtracted, and multiplied by real numbers. Additionally, the basis vectors in a complex vector space can have both real and imaginary components, while the basis vectors in a real vector space can only have real components.

2. How do you determine the dimension of a complex vector space?

The dimension of a complex vector space is determined by the number of linearly independent basis vectors it contains. This is the same as the number of basis vectors in a real vector space, as long as the basis vectors in the complex vector space are linearly independent over the complex numbers.

3. Can a real vector space be considered a subset of a complex vector space?

Yes, a real vector space can be considered a subset of a complex vector space. This is because a complex vector space contains all of the properties and operations of a real vector space, and can be reduced to a real vector space if the imaginary components of the basis vectors are set to zero.

4. How are operations such as addition and multiplication defined in a complex vector space?

In a complex vector space, addition and multiplication are defined in the same way as they are in a real vector space, but with the added consideration of complex numbers. Addition of two complex numbers involves adding their real and imaginary components separately, while multiplication involves both real and imaginary components being multiplied according to the properties of complex numbers.

5. What is a complex vector space used for in scientific research?

Complex vector spaces are used in many areas of scientific research, such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and electromagnetics. They allow for the representation of complex physical phenomena and provide a way to analyze and manipulate these phenomena mathematically. In addition, many mathematical models and equations in physics and engineering are naturally expressed in terms of complex numbers, making complex vector spaces a useful tool in understanding and solving these problems.