Help with installing cygwin on vista

• Thread starter subwaybusker
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the installation of cygwin and the specific steps taken by the individual to successfully install it. This included downloading and installing packages, as well as encountering potential issues with missing packages. The need for KDE libs was also discussed, with the reminder that it is not necessary for writing basic command line programs.
subwaybusker
I searched up some instructions on the web on how to install cygwin. I downloaded cygwin, 1) clicked the "install from internet" option
2) Clicked on "Just Me" and "Unix/binary" option
3) went to the packages screen, and then clicked on the options listed under KDE (since my prof uses KDE)
4) installed it a second time using "install from local directory option"
5) downloaded these five files from http://webdev.cegit.de/snapshots/kde-cygwin/kde/kde3.4/
to C:\cygwin

qt-x11-free-3.3.4-1.tar.bz2
kdelibs-3.4.1-0.tar.bz2
kdebase-3.4.1-0.tar.bz2
kdepim-3.4.1-0.tar.bz2
kdesdk-3.4.1-0.tar.bz2

6) clicked on the desktop icon, "bash-3.2$" showed up. I typed
cd c:\cygwin
tar -C / -xjf qt-x11-free-3.3.4-1.tar.bz2

and it said tar: command not found

Computer science news on Phys.org
Go back and rerun the cygwin installer and look at the package list REALLY carefully. You have to specifically check every package you want to install, and it doesn't think to include by default a lot of packages that a linux distribution would consider critical. So probably you did not, in fact, install tar (and probably not bzip2 either).

You don't need the kde libs unless you are going to be building KDE apps on windows.
KDE is a desktop toolkit (and a set of apps) on linux, it isn't needed to write ordinary command line programs.

1. How do I download and install Cygwin on my Windows Vista computer?

To download and install Cygwin on your Windows Vista computer, follow these steps:

1. Go to the Cygwin website and click on the "Install Cygwin" button.
  2. Choose the appropriate installation option for your system (32-bit or 64-bit).
  3. Save the setup.exe file to your computer.
  4. Double-click on the setup.exe file to start the installation process.
  5. Follow the instructions in the setup wizard to select your installation directory, packages, and other options.
  6. Once the installation is complete, you can launch Cygwin from your Start menu.

2. What packages do I need to select during the Cygwin installation?

The packages you need to select during the Cygwin installation will depend on your specific needs and the programs you plan to use. However, some commonly used packages include gcc, make, git, and vim. If you are unsure which packages you need, you can always go back and add or remove packages later using the Cygwin installer.

3. How do I add or remove packages after the initial Cygwin installation?

To add or remove packages after the initial Cygwin installation, follow these steps:

1. Run the Cygwin installer again.
  2. Choose the "Install from Internet" option.
  3. Select the packages you want to add or remove by clicking on the arrows next to their names.
  4. Click "Next" to continue with the installation process.
  5. Once the installation is complete, the new packages will be available in your Cygwin environment.

4. Can I install Cygwin on a 64-bit version of Windows Vista?

Yes, Cygwin is compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista. When downloading the setup.exe file, make sure to select the appropriate installation option for your system.

5. Can I use Cygwin to run Linux programs on my Windows Vista computer?

Yes, Cygwin provides a Unix-like environment for Windows, allowing you to run many Linux programs on your Windows Vista computer. However, not all Linux programs are compatible with Cygwin, so it is important to check the compatibility before attempting to run a program.