Finite Spherical Potential Well

In summary, the conversation is discussing the solving of a finite potential well and specifically finding the ground state energy. The solution obtained includes a cosine term which needs to be discarded, but the reason for doing so is not clear. The person solving the problem believes that the solution is still normalizable, but someone else points out that it does not satisfy the Schrodinger equation. The person who provided the solution is confused by this response since they obtained it by solving the Schrodinger equation.
dsr39
This is more a qualitative question than a specific homework question, but a homework problem got me wondering about it.

I was solving the finite potential well.

[tex]V(r) = 0 \hspace{1cm} r \geq a[/tex]
[tex]V(r) = -V_0\hspace{1cm} r < a[/tex]

I am trying to solve for the ground state energy. When I find the forms of the solution in the interior of the well, I find that I get

[tex] \frac{c_1 \sin{(kr)} + c_2 \cos{(kr)}}{r} [/tex]

I know from doing other reading that I should end up throwing away the cosine term, but I do not understand why.

I can see that it blows up at [tex] r=0 [/tex], but it still looks like it will be normalizable to me since a volume integral in spherical coordinates provides an extra factor of [tex]r^2[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't satisfy the Schrodinger equation, because [itex]\nabla^2(1/r) \propto \delta^3(\vec x)[/itex].

I don't understand that reply. I got it by solving the schrodinger equation, so it must satisfy it, no?

1. What is a finite spherical potential well?

A finite spherical potential well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle trapped in a spherical region with a finite potential. It is often used to study the properties of atoms and nuclei.

2. How does a particle behave in a finite spherical potential well?

A particle in a finite spherical potential well can only exist within a certain range of energies and is confined within the boundaries of the well. It exhibits both wave-like and particle-like behaviors, and its energy levels are quantized.

3. What is the significance of a finite spherical potential well?

The finite spherical potential well model helps us understand the behavior of particles in confined systems, such as atoms and nuclei. It also provides insight into the stability and energy levels of these systems.

4. How is a finite spherical potential well different from an infinite potential well?

In an infinite potential well, the potential remains constant within the boundaries of the well, while in a finite potential well, the potential increases towards the boundaries. This allows for the existence of bound states in a finite potential well, while in an infinite potential well, only standing waves are allowed.

5. What are some real-world applications of the finite spherical potential well model?

The finite spherical potential well model is used in various fields, such as atomic and nuclear physics, solid-state physics, and quantum computing. It helps us understand the properties and behavior of particles in confined systems, which has practical applications in technology and medicine.