Referencing Help: Page Number Format OK?

• Thread starter haaj86
  • Start date
In summary, The individual is seeking clarification on referencing a page number in a book within a scientific paper. They mention using square brackets for references and wondering if it is acceptable to include the page number within the brackets. They also mention another method of referencing a page number and provide a link for further information.
haaj86
Hi,
I am not sure if this post should be in this section. I am currently writing a report and I am using square brackets for my references i.e. [1] [2] and so on. But some of these references are books and I want to refer to a page in the book so do you think its ok to write the reference as an example [1, p xx] where xx is the page number of the book. To be honest I haven’t seen this format in scientific papers.

If you have experience with referencing then please tell me if this is correct. I think the usual way of referencing a page number in a book is like (authorname, pagenumber), but I am still curious about the above format.

Physics news on Phys.org

I can say that there is no one correct way to format references in a scientific report. Different fields and journals may have their own preferred format for referencing. However, in general, it is important to be consistent and follow a recognized style guide such as APA or MLA.

In terms of referencing page numbers in books, it is acceptable to use the format [1, p xx] as long as it is clear and consistent throughout the report. However, as you mentioned, the more commonly used format in scientific papers is (authorname, pagenumber). It may be helpful to consult the style guide recommended by your institution or the journal you are submitting to for specific guidelines on referencing page numbers in books.

Overall, the most important aspect of referencing is to accurately and clearly cite your sources in a consistent format. As long as you achieve this, the specific format you choose may vary. I hope this helps and good luck with your report.

1. What is the correct page number format for referencing?

The correct page number format for referencing varies depending on the referencing style being used. However, in general, page numbers should be formatted with the last name of the author, followed by a comma and the page number(s). For example: (Smith, 25).

2. Do I need to include page numbers for all sources in my reference list?

No, page numbers are only necessary for sources that are directly quoted or paraphrased in your work. If you are summarizing or referring to a source without directly quoting, page numbers are not required.

3. What should I do if a source does not have page numbers?

If a source does not have page numbers, you can use other locators such as paragraph numbers, section numbers, or headings. If none of these are available, you can omit the page number in your in-text citation.

4. How should I format page numbers for sources with multiple authors?

If a source has two authors, include both last names and page numbers in your citation. For sources with three or more authors, use the first author's last name followed by "et al." and the page number(s). For example: (Smith et al., 45).

5. Can I use abbreviations for page numbers in my citations?

Yes, you can use abbreviations such as "p." for single page numbers or "pp." for multiple page numbers in your citations. Just make sure to be consistent throughout your work and follow the specific guidelines of your chosen referencing style.