Capacitor Discharge: Calculating Time to 0.8μC

I don't know where the 120 is coming from. It should be around 75, as you have.In summary, a 10 microfarad capacitor initially charged to 15 volts discharges through a 12kohm resistor. Using the equations Q=CV and Q= Q_0 x e^(-t/RC), the time it takes for the charge stored to fall to 0.8 x 10^-4 C is approximately 75 ms. However, there may be a typo in either the answer key or the question sheet, as the given answer is 120ms.
Kalus

Homework Statement

A 10 microfarad capacitor is initally charged to 15 volts. If the capacitor then discharges through a 12kohm resistor how long before the charge stored has falled to 0.8 x 10^-4 C?

Homework Equations

Q=CV

Q= Q_0 x e ^(-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculate initial charge using Q=CV

Q=CV
Q= 15x 10x10^-6

Qinital = 1.5x10^-4

Then using Q= Q_0 * e^(-t/RC)

Q= Q_0 x e ^(-t/RC)
0.8 x10^-4 = 1.5x10^-4 * e^(-t/12000*10x10^-6)

ln(0.8/1.5) = -t/12000*10x10^-6

ln(0.8/1.5)*12000*10x10^-6 = t

which when calculated comes out as 0.0754, or 75 ms.

However, the answer in the practise test is 120ms... anyone see what i am doing wrong?

Many thanks, Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations look fine to me, so I can only assume that there is a typo in either the answer key or the question sheet.

Thankyou for taking a look. I'd hoped that was the case and i wasn't going mad ;)

Andy

I punched those number real quick, and they are fine.

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for a capacitor to discharge to 0.8μC?

The formula for calculating the time it takes for a capacitor to discharge to 0.8μC is t = 0.8μC / I, where t is the time in seconds and I is the current in amperes. This assumes a constant current discharge.

2. What is a capacitor discharge?

A capacitor discharge refers to the process of releasing the stored electrical charge in a capacitor. This can occur through various methods such as connecting the capacitor to a resistor or short-circuiting it.

3. Why is it important to calculate the time for a capacitor to discharge to 0.8μC?

Knowing the time it takes for a capacitor to discharge is important in designing and understanding electronic circuits. It can help determine the rate of energy dissipation and the effectiveness of the capacitor in a specific circuit.

4. What factors can affect the time it takes for a capacitor to discharge to 0.8μC?

The time it takes for a capacitor to discharge can be affected by several factors, such as the capacitance of the capacitor, the resistance in the circuit, and the initial charge of the capacitor. Additionally, the type of capacitor and its quality can also impact the discharge time.

5. Can the time it takes for a capacitor to discharge be calculated for all discharge methods?

No, the formula for calculating the discharge time of a capacitor only applies to constant current discharge. Other discharge methods, such as exponential discharge, require different equations to determine the discharge time.