How do you work out the take off velocity from max vertical height attained?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the initial velocity of a ball thrown straight up based on its maximum height using the conservation of energy principle and the equations for kinetic and potential energy. The equation for calculating the velocity is v=\sqrt{2gh}, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the maximum height. The number 2 is simply a constant in the equation and does not affect the square root.
Researcher X
If you throw a ball straight up, say, and it reaches a height of 30 meters before falling straight down and back to your hand, how fast did you throw it up? I understand we can know this from the deceleration that gravity causes.

Could you explain how to calculate these sort of things in laymen's terms, or link to a web calculator for these scenarios?

Physics news on Phys.org
A very useful basic principle is the conservation of energy in solving problems like these. Basically, two types of energy exist: kinetic energy, associated with movement of objects, and potential energy, associated with position (a ball raised high above your head has the potential to fall down, increasing it's kinetic energy).

The relevant equations look something like this:
[tex]KE=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex] where m is mass and v is velocity,
[tex]PE=mgh[/tex] Where g is the acceleration due to the Earth's gravity near the Earth's surface (g=9.8m/s^2 in those units), and h is the height above some fixed point.

For a problem like this, I can say that when I initially throw the ball potential energy is zero and all the energy is kinetic. Then, at the peak, I know it's not moving (kinetic energy is zero) and potential energy is some value associated with height. Using the above definitions of the two types of energy:

[tex]KE_{initial}+PE_{initial}=KE_{final}+PE_{final}[/tex] ,which tells us that the total energy is conserved. From the above argument we can say initial potential is zero, and kinetic final is zero, so we get:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2=mgh[/tex] Which is another way of saying all the kinetic energy is converted to potential.

Simply rearranging the equation and solving for v:
[tex]v=\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]

The key concept is that the change in energy is zero for any two points along the ball's path. Hope that helps :)

I don't understand symbols like that, since I haven't done maths since I was 10.

I'm not sure what the formula is yet.

Researcher X said:
I don't understand symbols like that, since I haven't done maths since I was 10.

I'm not sure what the formula is yet.

I'm not sure what you're uncomfortable with. Ignoring the derivation, the equation is:
[tex]v=\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]

Where v is the velocity (speed) with which you threw the ball, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 in units of meters per second per second, ~32 in units of feet per second per second), and h is the peak height.

Are you not familiar with the square room symbol?

This kinematics equation derives the launch velocity per the max height achieved by the projectile that was launched 100% vertically.

where,

a = acceleration (in m/s^2)
s = distance (in meters)
v = velocity (in m/s, that’s “meters per second” for clarity purposes)
SQR() = square root of value in parenthesis
9.144 meters = 30 feet

v = SQR(2sa)

SQR(2 * 9.144 meters * 9.8 m/s^2) = 13.38739706 m/s

Note: Where gravity is the acceleration, ‘g’ is commonly used in place of ‘a’ (value of ‘g’ is 9.8 m/s^2 for Earth gravity) and ‘h’ (for height) is commonly used in place of ‘s’ (distance), so the equation becomes:

v = SQR(2hg)

Nabeshin said:
Are you not familiar with the square room symbol?

I know the square root symbol from a calculator where you can put in 64, press it, and get 8.

Being that It's wrapped around the 2gh, I guess v is the square root of 2gh, but what's the "2" for? I've seen 2 come after things and it means squared, or if it's a 3, it means cubed. I'm not sure why the 2 is before both the gravity and the height.

So, if we say the max height was 10 meters, would the velocity be the square root of 10 and 9.8 plus each other?

Researcher X said:
I know the square root symbol from a calculator where you can put in 64, press it, and get 8.

Being that It's wrapped around the 2gh, I guess v is the square root of 2gh, but what's the "2" for? I've seen 2 come after things and it means squared, or if it's a 3, it means cubed. I'm not sure why the 2 is before both the gravity and the height.

So, if we say the max height was 10 meters, would the velocity be the square root of 10 and 9.8 plus each other?

The two is just a number multiplying both the 9.8 and the height. It doesn't really have anything to do with the square root. Here, let me give you an example.

Take your original problem of something that goes 30m up.
[tex]v=\sqrt{2*g*h}[/tex]
So, [tex]v=\sqrt{2*9.8*30}=\sqrt{588}\approx 24.5 [/tex] meters per second

Or, again for the example you just used of 10 meters,
[tex]v=\sqrt{2*9.8*10}=\sqrt{196}=14 [/tex] meters per second

That's basically as much as you need to know for using the formula. Hope this makes sense!

Perfect! That makes perfect sense now. Thanks.

1. What is the equation for calculating take off velocity from max vertical height attained?

The equation for calculating take off velocity from max vertical height attained is:
v = √(2gh), where v is the take off velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the max vertical height attained.

2. How do you determine the acceleration due to gravity in this equation?

The acceleration due to gravity can be determined by using the value of 9.8 m/s^2. This value is considered to be the standard value for Earth's gravitational acceleration and is used in most calculations involving free fall or vertical motion.

3. Can take off velocity be calculated without knowing the max vertical height attained?

No, the take off velocity cannot be calculated without knowing the max vertical height attained. This is because the equation for calculating take off velocity requires the value of the max vertical height attained to be plugged in.

4. How does air resistance affect the calculation of take off velocity?

Air resistance can affect the calculation of take off velocity by decreasing the actual velocity needed to reach a certain max vertical height. In order to account for air resistance, a coefficient can be added to the equation, but this can complicate the calculation.

5. Is the take off velocity the same as the initial velocity?

No, the take off velocity and the initial velocity are not the same. The take off velocity refers to the velocity at the moment of take off, while the initial velocity refers to the velocity at the beginning of the motion. In some cases, the take off velocity may also be the initial velocity, but this is not always the case.