Hydrostatic behaviour - water in tube

In summary, the question is about the required height to diameter ratio for a water-filled tube to remain sealed when inverted. The answer is that the pressure on the water-air interface must be less than atmospheric pressure, and the height needs to be less than 10 meters. The recommended procedure for achieving this is to fill the tube to the brim, quickly invert it, and then remove a card covering the opening.
ralphamale
To moderator - I had mistakenly posted this to the "General Physics" forum and later noticed the note about not posting there - sorry! I hope this is the correct location for posting the following question.

I am a novice on this site and am trying to find an answer to a question which is: I filled a tube 48" x 1.5" with water, sealing one end and then inverted it - I expected the water to remain due to the vacuum but it did not. Is there a certain ratio of ht. to dia. required to keep the water in the tube? I would appreciate any imput, guidance or direction on this...Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
ralphamale said:
Is there a certain ratio of ht. to dia. required to keep the water in the tube?
Yes. For the water not to spill, the pressure on the water-air interface due to the weight of the column must be less than atmospheric pressure. The diameter has nothing to do with it. The condition is ##\rho_{water}gh<p_{atm}##. Solving for the height of the column, we get ##~h<\dfrac{p_{atm}}{\rho_{water}g}.## With ##\rho_{water}=1000 ~\mathrm{kg/m^3}##, ##p_{atm}=100,000~\mathrm{N/m^2}## and ##g=10~\mathrm{m/s^2}##, ##h<10~\mathrm{m}##. This is much less that 48"=1.2 m. It didn't work probably because of faulty procedure. The way to do it is to fill the column to the brim, put a card over the lip and, using your hand to hold the card in place, very quickly invert the column being careful not to spill any liquid. Once the column is upside down, remove your hand holding the card. If the card stays in place, remove it very carefully. I've done this with a 10" cylinder, but never with a 48" cylinder.

1. What is hydrostatic behaviour?

Hydrostatic behaviour refers to the way in which fluids, such as water, behave when they are at rest in a container or tube. This includes the principles of pressure, buoyancy, and Pascal's law.

2. How does water behave in a tube?

In a vertical tube, water will always seek to find its own level due to the force of gravity. This means that the water will rise to the same height in each branch of the tube, regardless of the diameter of the tube or the shape of the branches.

3. What is Pascal's law and how does it relate to hydrostatic behaviour?

Pascal's law states that pressure applied to a confined fluid will be transmitted equally in all directions. This means that when a force is applied to a container of water, the pressure will be distributed evenly throughout the container, and the water will behave accordingly.

4. How does hydrostatic behaviour affect objects placed in water?

Objects placed in water will experience an upward force, known as buoyancy, due to the pressure of the water. This force is equal to the weight of the water displaced by the object, and it is what allows objects to float or sink in water.

5. What factors can affect hydrostatic behaviour?

The pressure and density of the fluid, as well as the shape and size of the container or tube, can all affect hydrostatic behaviour. Additionally, the force of gravity and the presence of other objects or substances in the fluid can also impact how water behaves in a tube.