Troubleshooting Electromagnet Design for Telegraph Key and Sounder

In summary, the sounder that the author has designed is a metal nail (which is ferromagnetic) with at least several dozen (maybe 200+) turns of wire around it. When a current is on the wire, the nail should become an electromagnet, and then pull down some kind of ferromagnetic metal strip, creating a sound.
Cspeed
I'm trying to build a telegraph key and sounder. The sounder that I have designed (well, saw online) is a metal nail (which is ferromagnetic) with at least several dozen (maybe 200+) turns of wire around it. When a current is on the wire, the nail should become an electromagnet, and then pull down some kind of ferromagnetic metal strip, creating a sound. Upon being released, the strip bounces back up (maybe using a rubber band) to clang against something else.

My issue: Using either two AA batteries or two D batteries, I can't get the nail to attract much of anything, not even close to making a sound. I haven't found a good metal strip yet, but even paper clips barely get attracted to the nail. If a compass is close enough, it will detect the magnetic field. Any suggestions? Is it possible that the nail isn't very ferromagnetic, or is there something better to use? Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need either more turns or more current. Try a 6V lantern battery or a 12 V Pb-acid alarm battery.

You might increase the diameter of your core. Try a screw, for example, maybe 1/4-20 x 2", wrapped with 1 layer of electrical tape so the threads don't bite into the wire. Are you using small gauge (around 24 AWG) magnet wire? (Magnet wire has a clear coating instead of thick plastic insulation, so you can wind many turns in a small radius.) Two dozen turns won't do the job--try hundreds. You should get action!

I probably have 100-200 turns of 28 AWG, insulated. Does the length of the nail matter? It's about 0.5 cm diameter, 6cm length.

Here is a nice telegraph sounder design:
http://www.sfu.ca/~achanne/projects/Telegraph%20Sounder/
There are two solenoid coils wound around small bolts, with a piece of iron connecting the bottoms of the two bolts, to create a horseshoe electromagnet. This horseshoe magnet design with two coils is a much better magnetic circuit than a single nail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's a great guide. I'll go ahead and try that out then.

What is an electromagnet for telegraph?

An electromagnet for telegraph is a type of electromagnet used in the telegraph system to convert electrical signals into mechanical movements, allowing for the transmission of messages over long distances.

How does an electromagnet for telegraph work?

An electromagnet for telegraph works by using an electrical current to create a magnetic field around a coil of wire. This magnetic field attracts a piece of iron or steel, which then moves to complete a circuit and create a signal.

What are the components of an electromagnet for telegraph?

The main components of an electromagnet for telegraph include a coil of wire, a power source, an iron or steel core, and a switch or key that controls the flow of electricity.

What is the purpose of an iron or steel core in an electromagnet for telegraph?

The iron or steel core serves to intensify the magnetic field created by the coil of wire, making the electromagnet stronger and more efficient.

How was the electromagnet for telegraph significant in the development of communication?

The electromagnet for telegraph revolutionized communication by allowing for the transmission of messages over long distances at high speeds. This technology paved the way for further advancements in communication, leading to the development of the telephone and eventually the internet.