Expected value of sample variance

In summary: Var(X) & = E [ X - E(X) ]^2 \\& = E [ X^2 - 2XE(X) + E(X)^2] \\& = E(X^2) - 2E(X)E(X) + E(X)^2 \\& = E(X^2) - 2E(X)^2 + E(X)^2 \\& = E(X^2) - E(X)^2\end{align*}and, if we're working with E(X^2) at the start, we get to E(X^2) - E(X)^2 more directly without needing to do any algebra
musicgold
Hi,

My question is related to this web page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimator_bias

In the Examples section, note the equation for the expected value of sample variance.

[tex] {E}(S^2)=\frac{n-1}{n} \sigma^2 [/tex]

Could anybody please show me the steps to go from the sample variance equation (given below) to the above equation?

[tex]S^2=\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n(X_i-\overline{X}\,)^2[/tex]

Thanks

MG.

Physics news on Phys.org
well, that "sample variance" was defined for the purposes of that page. The usual sample variance divides by n-1 instead of by n, so it is not biased. This page includes a derivation of that fact.

The essential point for the use of n-1 rather than n is that the sample variance makes use of the sample mean, not the theoretical mean.

Specifically, let x be one sample, m the theoretical mean and a the statistical average.
Then E(x-a)2=E(x-m+m-a)2=E(x-m)2+E(m-a)2+2E((x-m)(m-a)).
When you plow through the details, the factor shows up.

Thanks folks. However, my question is not about the use of n-1 in the denominator. I understand the concept of the degrees of freedom.

I wish to know the operations/steps I need to perform on the Sample Variance equation to get the expected value equation.

Thanks again,

MG.

I gave you the answer.

Is this what you're looking for?

First consider (I'll bring in the 1/n later)

[tex]
\sum (x_i - \bar x)^2 = \sum x_i^2 - n\bar{x}^2
[/tex]

The expected value of this expression is

[tex]
\begin{align*}
E\left(\sum(x_i - \bar x^2)^2\right) &= \sum E(x_i^2) - n E\left( \bar{x}^2\right)\\
& = \sum \left(\mu^2 + \sigma^2\right) - n \frac 1 {n^2} \left(\sum E(x_i^2) + \sum_{i<j} x_i x_j \right) \\
& = n\mu^2 + n \sigma^2 - \frac 1 n \left( n \mu^2 + n \sigma^2 + n(n-1) \mu^2 \right) \\
& = n\mu^2 + n \sigma^2 - \mu^2 - \sigma^2 - (n-1) \mu^2 \\
& = n\mu^2 + n\sigma^2 - n \mu^2 - \sigma^2 \\
& = (n-1) \sigma^2
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Now
[tex]
\begin{align*}
S^2 & = \frac 1 n \sum (x_i - \bar{x})^2) \\
E(S^2) & = \frac 1 n E\left(\sum (x_i - \bar{x}^2) \right) \\
& = \left(\frac 1 n \right) (n-1) \sigma^2 = \frac{n-1} n \sigma^2
\end{align*}
[/tex]

and from this last line we see that in order to obtain an unbiased estimate of [tex] \sigma^2 [/tex], the maximum likelihood (for normal distributions) estimator [tex] S^2 [/tex] needs to be multiplied by (n)/(n-1) to get

[tex]
\frac 1 {n-1} \sum (x_i - \bar{x})^2)
[/tex]

Attachments

• Biased to unbiased estimator.doc
    30 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
Statdad

I am not clear about just one step.

How do I get

[tex] (\left(\mu^2 + \sigma^2\right) [/tex] from [tex] E (x_i^2) [/tex]Thanks

MG.

P.S. How do you manage to write so many equations efficiently using LaTex? Do you have an advanced editor?

First:
Since
[tex]
Var(X) = \sigma^2 = E(X - \mu)^2 = E(X^2) - \mu^2
[/tex]

a simple re-arrangement gives

[tex]
E(X^2) = \sigma^2 + \mu^2
[/tex]

Second question: if you want to have several equations nicely aligned inside a display, use the \begin{align*} and \end{align*} pair inside the tex delimiters. Without the tex info, if i have

f(x) & = x^2 + 5x + 6 \\
& = (x+3)(x+2)

inside the delimiters, the compiled result is

[tex]
\begin{align*}
f(x) & = x^2 + 5x + 6 \\
& = (x+3)(x+2)
\end{align*}
[/tex]

* the "&" sign causes the equations to be aligned at the start of the next symbol ("=" in my
example)
* the "\\" terminates a line and tells tex to begin a new line

If you click on any displayed formula you should see, in a pop-up window, the underlying code.

Edited to note: some older tex manuals will discuss the use of the "eqarray" (I think I have the name correct, but since I don't use it I'm not going to claim 100% accuracy here) environment for doing what I've done
with align*. Don't use eqarray - the spacing is (to state it as nicely as possible) horrific.

Statdad,

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help.

Also,

[tex]
\begin{align*}

Var (X) & = E [ X - E (X) ]^2 \\
& = E [ X^2 - 2X E(X) + E(X)^2] \\
& = E(X^2) - 2 E(X) E(X) + E(X)^2 \\
& = E(X^2) - 2 E(X)^2 + E(X)^2 \\
& = E (X^2) - E(X)^2.\end{align*}

[/tex]

Last edited:

What is the expected value of sample variance?

The expected value of sample variance is a measure of the average variability of a sample. It represents the average deviation of the sample data from the sample mean.

How is the expected value of sample variance calculated?

The expected value of sample variance is calculated by taking the sum of squared differences between each data point and the sample mean, divided by the sample size minus one.

Why is the expected value of sample variance important?

The expected value of sample variance is important because it allows us to estimate the variability of a population based on a sample. This plays a crucial role in statistical inference and decision making.

What factors can affect the expected value of sample variance?

The expected value of sample variance can be affected by the sample size, the variability of the population, and the sampling method used. A larger sample size and a more representative sample can result in a more accurate estimate of the population variance.

Can the expected value of sample variance be negative?

No, the expected value of sample variance cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it represents the average squared deviation of the sample data from the sample mean.