Is El Nino Linked to Increased Risk of Plane Crashes in the Western US?

• Thread starter hammertime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's upcoming travel plans between San Jose and LAX, and questions whether El Nino increases the risk of plane crashes. The response highlights that historically, there is no correlation between El Nino and plane crashes, and reassures that 737s are statistically the safest planes. The speaker also expresses their sympathy for anyone who has to fly in or out of LAX in any weather.
hammertime
I go to college in LA but I live in the SF Bay Area and will be flying between San Jose and LAX numerous times in the next six months, probably in small Boeing 737's.

Does El Nino, which is known to cause stormy weather in the Western US, increase the risk of plane crashes?

By the way, I've asked this question on another forum just to get as much feedback as possible. Also, I'm not sure if 'Aerospace Engineering' is the right forum for a place like this, so the mods may end up moving it.

Physics news on Phys.org
hammertime said:
Does El Nino, which is known to cause stormy weather in the Western US, increase the risk of plane crashes?
Not historically no. there are so few plane crashes of commercial flights these days that the stats aren't worth anything.

If you want reassurance, Ca in El Nino is still better weather than most of the US for the rest of the year and there's nothing wrong with 737s they are statistically by far the safest plane in the skies.

And finally my deepest sympathy to anyone who has to fly in-to/out-of/anywhere near LAX in any weather.

mgb_phys said:
And finally my deepest sympathy to anyone who has to fly in-to/out-of/anywhere near LAX in any weather.

Which statistically has a higher suicide rate from annoyance then deaths by plane crashes :rofl:

What is El Nino?

El Nino is a weather phenomenon that occurs in the equatorial Pacific Ocean every few years. It is characterized by warmer than normal sea surface temperatures and changes in atmospheric pressure, which can lead to global climate changes.

Can El Nino cause plane crashes?

While El Nino can affect weather patterns and cause turbulence, there is no evidence to suggest that it directly causes plane crashes. Pilots are trained to navigate through turbulent conditions and airlines closely monitor weather patterns to ensure safe flights.

Are there any specific regions or routes that are more prone to plane crashes during El Nino?

There is no specific region or route that is more prone to plane crashes during El Nino. However, the increased turbulence and weather changes associated with El Nino can potentially affect flights in any region.

How does El Nino affect aviation?

El Nino can affect aviation in several ways. It can cause increased turbulence, changes in wind patterns, and changes in precipitation, which can all impact the safety and efficiency of flights. Airlines closely monitor these changes and make adjustments to flight routes and schedules accordingly.

What precautions are taken by airlines during El Nino to ensure safe flights?

Airlines take several precautions during El Nino to ensure safe flights. These may include adjusting flight routes, increasing the frequency of weather monitoring, and providing additional training for pilots on how to navigate through turbulent conditions. Airlines also have contingency plans in place in case of extreme weather events related to El Nino.