Calculating Pressure of an Ideal Gas Using the PV=nRT Equation

• Thread starter tag16
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves an ideal gas with given initial conditions of volume, pressure, and temperature. Using the ideal gas law, PV=nRT, the new pressure can be calculated by setting the ratio of initial and final states equal to each other. It is important to use absolute temperatures in this calculation. Ultimately, the solution is found to be (1.80)(1.0x10^5)/300=P(0.80)/500.
tag16

Homework Statement

An ideal gas that occupies 1.8 m3 at a pressure of 1.0 multiplied by 105 Pa and a temperature of 27°C is compressed to a volume of 0.80 m3 and heated to a temperature of 227°C. What is the new pressure?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure what to do for this one, not really even sure this is the formula I'd want to use

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the correct formula, except that 'nR' is constant so it simply becomes
PV/T (before) = PV/T (after)

Note that you need to use absolute (kelvin) temperatures

so would it be (1.80)(1.0x10^5)/27=P(0.80)/227?

Except you need absolute temperatures

tag16 said:

Homework Statement

An ideal gas that occupies 1.8 m3 at a pressure of 1.0 multiplied by 105 Pa and a temperature of 27°C is compressed to a volume of 0.80 m3 and heated to a temperature of 227°C. What is the new pressure?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure what to do for this one, not really even sure this is the formula I'd want to use

This problem seems to involve a simple IDEAL GAS. Remember, Ideal gases involves molecules of gas as POINT particles that do not involve electric forces nor volumes that molecules can fill. Using the PV = nRT seems like the correct choice. DO NOT FORGET that units are key for these first steps into studying ThermoDynamics. R = 8.314 Joules / (Mole x Kelvin) this R value is in SI units. I usually convert everything to SI units before moving forward.

R can also = .0821 (L x Atm) / (Mole x kelvin)

You mentioned Pascal. 1 pascal = 1 Newton/Meter squared.

the atkins textbook plots Pressure, Volume, and Temperature on the X, Y, Z axis. try to plot a couple of Pressure and Temperature points. Also, try plotting Volume and Temperature points. try to think about how temperature, volume of gas, and pressure of gas are related to each other when their Kinetic Energies are relatively High like in gases.

mgb_phys said:
That's the correct formula, except that 'nR' is constant so it simply becomes
PV/T (before) = PV/T (after)

Note that you need to use absolute (kelvin) temperatures

mgb_phys is underlining something very key into picking out the right values to use in your problem solving. Don't just blindly accept the given value as the value to use to plug into your formula. Instead, try to think about how the temperature was taken because 227 degrees Celsius can refer to temperature of the environment plus the temperature of the isolated gas system. Just like Gauge pressure is different from total pressure due to the environment, absolute temperature can differ from total temperature.

so would it be (1.80)(1.0x10^5)/300=P(0.80)/500?

somehow I don't think so

tag16 said:
so would it be (1.80)(1.0x10^5)/300=P(0.80)/500?

somehow I don't think so

It's correct.

oh yeah...I put a parenthese in the wrong place when I put in my calculator...opps. Thanks

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics that describes the behavior of gases under certain conditions. It is assumed that an ideal gas is made up of a large number of particles that have no volume and do not interact with each other, except through collisions.

2. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature.

3. What are the conditions for an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is assumed to follow certain conditions, including having particles with no volume, no intermolecular forces, and undergoing elastic collisions. Additionally, the gas must be at a low enough pressure and high enough temperature for the particles to behave like point masses.

4. How does pressure affect an ideal gas?

The pressure of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of particles present, and inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as pressure increases, either the temperature or the number of particles must increase, or the volume must decrease in order to maintain a constant value for the other variables.

5. Can a real gas behave like an ideal gas?

In certain conditions, a real gas can behave like an ideal gas. This usually occurs at low pressures and high temperatures, where the interactions between particles become negligible. However, most real gases deviate from ideal gas behavior at higher pressures and lower temperatures due to intermolecular forces and the finite size of particles.