Simple Earth Circumference Question

In summary, if you know the circumference of the Earth at the Equator is 2.49 x 10 to the fourth, you can find the circumference of the Earth at 45 degrees North by using the radius of the Earth (6.4 x 10 to the sixth) as the Hypotenuse for a 45 degree triangle. Divide the radius by the square root of two and multiply by 2 x Pi to get the circumference. Moving along the same latitude uses the same radius, while moving along a longitude uses the new radius given by r = Rcosθ, where θ is the angle of longitude.
DaveMaron
Hello. This is my first post. I just started physics this year, and I forgot how to do some simple trigonometry, but I'm not quite sure where to look.

1. My question is: If I know the circumference of the Earth at the Equator is about 2.49 x 10 to the Fourth,

How do I find the Circumference of the Earth 45 Degrees North?

2. Homework Equations : None

3. None...

Obviously it would be smaller, but I'm not quite sure how much.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I found the answer.

Use the radius of the Earth (6.4 x 10 to the sixth) as the Hypotenuse for the 45 Degree Triangle. Divide the radius by the Square root of two and this will give you the radius from the Tip of the 45 degree angle to the Center of the Earth. Multiply this by 2 x Pie to get the Circumference.

Thanks.

DaveMaron said:
Nevermind, I found the answer.

Use the radius of the Earth (6.4 x 10 to the sixth) as the Hypotenuse for the 45 Degree Triangle. Divide the radius by the Square root of two and this will give you the radius from the Tip of the 45 degree angle to the Center of the Earth. Multiply this by 2 x Pie to get the Circumference.

Thanks.

I can't remember the topic name, but I recall if you move along the same latitude, you use the same radius. But if you move along a longitude, the new radius r is give by r=Rcosθ, where θ is the angle of longitude. Sorry I replied too late, but it seems you got it out so all is well.

1. What is the Earth's circumference?

The Earth's circumference is approximately 40,075 kilometers or 24,901 miles.

2. How was the Earth's circumference first calculated?

The Earth's circumference was first calculated by ancient Greek mathematician and geographer Eratosthenes in the 3rd century BC using simple geometry and measurements of shadows.

3. How accurate is the current measurement of the Earth's circumference?

The current measurement of the Earth's circumference is estimated to be accurate within a few hundred meters, which is a very small margin of error considering the size of the Earth.

4. Is the Earth's circumference the same at the equator and poles?

No, the Earth's circumference is slightly larger at the equator due to the bulging shape of the Earth caused by its rotation.

5. How has technology improved the accuracy of measuring the Earth's circumference?

Technology such as GPS and satellite imaging have greatly improved the accuracy of measuring the Earth's circumference by providing more precise and detailed data points.