Intensive vs extensive

• Thread starter kiwikahuna
  • Start date
In summary, intensive properties are independent of the amount of substance present, while extensive properties depend on the amount of substance present. An example of an intensive property is temperature, while an example of an extensive property is mass. Both intensive and extensive properties are used in scientific experiments to characterize and differentiate substances. It is not possible for a property to be both intensive and extensive at the same time.
kiwikahuna

Homework Statement

classify the following variables and functions as intensive or extensive.

T,P, V, q (heat), w (work), U (internal energy), and H (enthalpy)

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to check up on my answers for this but I believe on T and P are intensive properties. And the rest are extensive: V, q, w, U, and H

Physics news on Phys.org
kiwikahuna said:
I believe on T and P are intensive properties.
Sounds good to me.

.Yes, you are correct. Temperature (T) and pressure (P) are intensive properties, meaning they do not depend on the size or amount of the substance. Volume (V), heat (q), work (w), internal energy (U), and enthalpy (H) are all extensive properties, meaning they do depend on the size or amount of the substance.

1. What is the difference between intensive and extensive properties?

Intensive properties are independent of the amount of substance present, while extensive properties depend on the amount of substance present.

2. Can you give an example of an intensive property?

Temperature is an example of an intensive property. The temperature of a substance does not change based on the amount of substance present.

3. What is an example of an extensive property?

Mass is an example of an extensive property. The mass of a substance increases with the amount of substance present.

4. How are intensive and extensive properties used in scientific experiments?

Intensive and extensive properties are used to characterize and describe substances in experiments. They can help scientists identify and differentiate between different substances.

5. Can a property be both intensive and extensive?

No, a property can only be either intensive or extensive. It cannot be both at the same time.