Circular Wire Loop - Please help

In summary: I1= B*2*pi*d/μ0 So the field at the center of the circular loop due to the straight wire is zero when the current is 3 AMPs. How do I go from there to determine the current at I(1)?
Skye77
A circular wire loop with a diameter of 0.2m and a long, straight wire carry currents, I(1) AMP and I(2) AMP, respectively. Both wires are located in the plane of the page, and the distance between the long wire and the center of the circle is 0.15m.

What is the magnitude of I(1) if the magnetic field at point O is zero when I(2) = 3 AMP?

Here's where I get stuck. I know that I'm supposed to use the equations:
B= μ0*I/2*pi*d
and
B= μ0*N*I/2*r

I re-arranged the equations to figure out that to solve for I(1) it would be
I(1)= B*2*r/μ0N

N = 1, since it's a single loop
r = .1m
μ0 = 4*pi*10^-7

I think I'm supposed to solve B from the straight wire equation, so I re-arranged that equation to: I(2) = B*2*pi*d/μ0

I(2) = 3 AMP
d = .15m
etc...

But the question asks: what is the magnitude of I(1) if the magnetic field (B) at O is zero when I(2) = 3 AMP

Does that mean the answer would also be zero? How then would I determine direction of
I(1)? Clock-wise or Anti-clockwise?

Please help. I've confused myself.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Wire Loop.jpg
    Wire Loop.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
You need not take into account of the direction of the curents in the straight wire and the circular loop.
Find the field at the center of the circular due to straight wire and the circular loop, and equate them to find I1.

So, the field at the center of the circular loop due to the straight wire is zero when the current is 3 AMPs. How do I go from there to determine the current at I(1) - the loop?

I guess I don't understand what you mean by equating them.

B= μ0*I1/2*pi*d
and
B= μ0*N*I2/2*r

These two equations which you have written, together produce zero magnetic field at the center of the circular loop. I2 is given. Find I1

I think I have a mental block on this, but here's what I've done based on what you said...

For the straight wire: B = μ0*I1/2*pi*d
I plugged everything in and calculated B = 4 x 10-6

Then do I use that B in the second equation: B= μ0*N*I2/2*r to solve for I?

I don't get a round number, which I expected to get.

I also tried doing I1 + I2 = 0, and by that I would get a -3 Amp which would make the current direction on the circle switch directions to counterclockwise?

Am I getting any closer?

At the center of the coil magnetic field due to wire and loop must be equal and opposite.

B= μ0*I1/2*pi*d = μ0*N*I2/2*r
Substitute the values of d, r and I2, and find I1.

1. What is a circular wire loop?

A circular wire loop is a closed circuit made from a single wire bent into the shape of a circle. It is commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism.

2. How does a circular wire loop work?

A circular wire loop works by creating a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the electric current, and the strength of the magnetic field is determined by the number of loops in the circular wire.

3. What are some real-world applications of a circular wire loop?

Circular wire loops are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as generators, motors, and transformers. They are also used in wireless charging technology and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

4. How can I make my own circular wire loop?

To make your own circular wire loop, you will need a length of insulated wire, pliers, and a power source. First, cut a length of wire and use the pliers to shape it into a circle. Then, connect the ends of the wire to a power source, such as a battery, and observe the magnetic field created by the circular wire loop.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when working with a circular wire loop?

Yes, it is important to exercise caution when working with electricity and circular wire loops. Make sure to use insulated wire and avoid touching the wire while it is connected to a power source. It is also important to use appropriate power sources and avoid using high currents or voltages that could cause harm.