How Does a Thin Plate with a Central Hole React Under Stress?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an elastic and perfectly plastic material with specific properties and dimensions. The task is to find the applied remote stress that will cause initial yielding in the plate, as well as the maximum stress the plate can withstand before full plastic collapse. The person seeking help has a textbook on stress analysis and deformation but is unsure how to approach the problem. They are advised to consult a textbook or handbook on the stress field around a circular hole.
peer
hiiii its me peer...i need some help to solve dis problem.
A thin plate containing a central hole is made of an elastic and perfectly plastic material with youngs modulus E=200GN/M,Poissons ratio v= 0.3 and yield strength infinity=100MPA, D=0.4M,L=2M,W=1.2M.THE THICKNESS OF PLATE IS 0.01

A. find the applied remote stress (infinity) that leads to the initial yielding of any where in the plate.show the distribution of von mises and deformation of the plate at this applied stress.
B.find the maximum possible stress (infinity) that the plate can carry before full plastic collapse.show the distribution of von mises stress and deformation of the plate immediately before this applied stress is reached.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please show how you've tried to work the problem so far. Do you have reference material (e.g., a textbook) handy that discusses stress concentrations in infinite plates?

i have a textbook with me that deals with stress analysis and deformation...but nothng related or dealing with the problem above...i have nt yet started...totally blind...dont know how to start with...please help me in dis problem...please...thanks a lot for ur previous reply...waiting for d same and kind reply...thanks a lot

You're going to need a textbook or handbook that describes the stress field around the circular hole. This is a pretty common problem; many solid mechanics / elasticity texts should cover it.

What is "Advanced solid mechanics"?

"Advanced solid mechanics" is a branch of mechanical engineering that focuses on the study of the behavior of solid materials under different loading conditions. It involves the application of mathematical principles, such as calculus and differential equations, to analyze stress, strain, and deformation in solid materials.

What are some examples of applications of advanced solid mechanics?

Advanced solid mechanics has various real-world applications, including designing and analyzing structures such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft. It is also used in the development of new materials, such as composites, and in the design of medical implants.

What are the key principles of advanced solid mechanics?

The key principles of advanced solid mechanics include stress and strain analysis, material properties, and failure criteria. It also involves understanding the behavior of materials under different loading conditions, such as tension, compression, bending, and torsion.

How does advanced solid mechanics differ from basic solid mechanics?

While basic solid mechanics focuses on the fundamental concepts and equations, advanced solid mechanics delves deeper into the mathematical analysis and applications of these principles. It also deals with more complex materials and loading conditions, making it a more advanced and specialized field.

What are some challenges in the field of advanced solid mechanics?

Some challenges in advanced solid mechanics include dealing with nonlinear material behavior, complex geometries, and dynamic loading conditions. Additionally, accurately predicting the failure of materials and structures is a constant challenge in this field.