Quantum - Square barrier (help)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transmission coefficient for a rectangular barrier with a potential of Vo > 0 for -a < x < a and 0 for |x| > a. The speaker attempted to find a solution using the finite square well method, but the first term in the general solution became infinite. They then questioned why the incoming wave to a square barrier is complex and clarified that the question is from a textbook they are studying, not homework.
Damascus Road
Question:

Determine the transmission coefficient for a rectangular barrier. Treat separately the three cases E<0, E=Vo, E>Vo (note that the wave function inside the barrier is different in the three cases.
and
V(x) = Vo > 0 for -a < x < a
= 0 for |x| > a

I attempted to do this like the finite square well and do it per "zone", because I'm not sure how to go about dealing with the energy first.

If I call - infinity -> -a "zone 1" and the potential there is zero, the general solution should be:
[tex]\varphi[/tex] = A[tex]e^{-kx}[/tex] + B[tex]e^{kx}[/tex], but the first term blows up to -infinity, so we're left with
[tex]\varphi[/tex] = B[tex]e^{kx}[/tex].

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this logic?
For E<Vo and x < -a [tex]\varphi[/tex] should include both A and B and be imaginary, but I don't know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure it's apparent that this is from a textbook, (Griffiths 2.33) but it is study, not homework. Please don't disregard on that basis.

To generalize a little bit more, this is is my basic question... why is the incoming wave to a square barrier complex?

Nevermind.

1. What is a quantum square barrier?

A quantum square barrier is a potential energy barrier that takes the shape of a square. It is a common feature in quantum mechanics and is used to study the behavior of particles in a confined space.

2. How does a particle behave when encountering a quantum square barrier?

When a particle encounters a quantum square barrier, it has a certain probability of being transmitted through the barrier and a certain probability of being reflected back. This behavior is governed by the principles of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of studying quantum square barriers?

Studying quantum square barriers allows us to understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces and provides insights into the principles of quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications in areas such as electronics, nanotechnology, and quantum computing.

4. How is the behavior of a particle affected by the height and width of a quantum square barrier?

The height and width of a quantum square barrier affect the probability of a particle being transmitted or reflected. A higher barrier will have a lower transmission probability and a wider barrier will have a higher transmission probability.

5. Are there any real-life examples of quantum square barriers?

Yes, there are several real-life examples of quantum square barriers. One example is the potential energy barrier that separates the electrons in a semiconductor material, which is essential for the functioning of electronic devices. Another example is the potential energy barrier in a quantum well, which is used in nanotechnology and quantum computing applications.