What type of art do you believe requires the most talent?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Art
In summary, opera combines most classical arts : music, dancing, theatre, even poetry or painting for instance can be included. Thus is one would restrict to this category, it would appear in some sense, opera (of a generalized form) could be considered "perfect".However, it is of course a matter of taste, and Russ has a very relevant point : sensibility. Thus, commenting on one of his students dropping off for poetry, Hilbert remarked "I never thought he had enough imagination for mathematics".IMO...calligraphy,especially Chinese [& Japanese], Indian, Persian [& arabic] calligraphyI think truly good writing is a high art.
Loren Booda

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:

Drawing real-to-life forms with full value.

That would require having some success criteria by which to compare them.

Who is to say how much talent is required to make the perfect two-sticks-nailed-together-to-give-to-your-mom as opposed to just any two-sticks-nailed-together-to-give-to-your-mom?

Mechanical engineering.

1) Sales
2) http://www.vancouversun.com/Smooth+criminal+preyed+hotels/2043574/story.html" [Broken]I think that require the most effort beyond selling products
or recent hoax ran by the balloon family
"He can probably sell snow to the Eskimos," said Det. Plowman.
:rofl:
3) Engineering
4) Making/Writing movies

Last edited by a moderator:
In principle, opera combines most classical arts : music, dancing, theatre, even poetry or painting for instance can be included. Thus is one would restrict to this category, it would appear in some sense, opera (of a generalized form) could be considered "perfect".

However, it is of course a matter of taste, and russ has a very relevant point : sensibility. Thus, commenting on one of his students dropping off for poetry, Hilbert remarked "I never thought he had enough imagination for mathematics".

IMO...calligraphy,especially Chinese [& Japanese], Indian, Persian [& arabic] calligraphy

I think truly good writing is a high art.
Architecture can be an amazing art as well.

humanino said:
In principle, opera combines most classical arts : music, dancing, theatre, even poetry or painting for instance can be included. Thus is one would restrict to this category, it would appear in some sense, opera (of a generalized form) could be considered "perfect".
Generally a person only preforms a few roles at most in creating an opera. The talent involved is spread over several persons and analyzing it we would probably wind up breaking it down into its constituent parts again.

I was thinking perhaps orchestral composition though.

Loren Booda said:

Music :)

As far as 2-D art goes here are my thoughts:

Hyperrealism - (think Richard Estes, Chuck Close (pre 1988), etc) mainly due to the complete attention to detail and the minutia with which they are concerned.

I really have a lot of respect and admiration for Chuck Close- I have been a fan ever since high school. I really appreciate his work after his accident which paralyzed him but he continued to paint and work after the accident. I think his post-accident work is quite interesting and is always pushing the boundaries.

DaveC426913 said:
That would require having some success criteria by which to compare them.

Who is to say how much talent is required to make the perfect two-sticks-nailed-together-to-give-to-your-mom as opposed to just any two-sticks-nailed-together-to-give-to-your-mom?

Now if you make that three sticks, (to the uneducated) you get an A and you can start with the art of reading.

Ever tried making a photo realistic airbrush work?

Loren Booda said:
breathing, seeing, hearing, touching, tasting and smelling.

Loren Booda said:

All of them.

drizzle said:
IMO...calligraphy,especially Chinese [& Japanese], Indian, Persian [& arabic] calligraphy

I think all posts here should start with IMO.

I think there is no limit to the talent one can have in any type of art. And how do you compare talents in different fields of art? The one that has the strongest aesthetic appeal? In that case it is heavily dependent on the individual observers taste.

Jarle said:
I think all posts here should start with IMO.

I think there is no limit to the talent one can have in any type of art. And how do you compare talents in different fields of art? The one that has the strongest aesthetic appeal? In that case it is heavily dependent on the individual observers taste.

The OP asks which you believe requires the most talent. In such a case I think we could start thinning the field by removing any art form that could be done by anyone since it obviously does not actually require any talent at all.

And aside from arguing what constitutes art aesthetics really hasn't much to do with the level of talent required. We are not asking who is the most talented.

About 20 years ago, I worked on a fish processing ship in the Bering Sea. Most of the workers were college students, like me. Two of my coworkers had this same exact argument.

One said: poetry is the highest art, because the rules are so strict that you have to be creative to let your message rise above the imposed rules.

The other said: film is the highest art, because to use it properly you must master dozens of technologies to get your message across, and there are no real rules so creativity is totally unleashed.

And me, an art-dumb physics/chemistry major, standing there listening to them argue, on the slime line processing black cod. Good memories :smile:.

Oh...my opinion about the highest art? Burritos.

TheStatutoryApe said:
The OP asks which you believe requires the most talent. In such a case I think we could start thinning the field by removing any art form that could be done by anyone since it obviously does not actually require any talent at all.

Any art can be done with any level of talent. The quality will be proportionate however.

TheStatutoryApe said:
And aside from arguing what constitutes art aesthetics really hasn't much to do with the level of talent required. We are not asking who is the most talented.
How does this matter? How could one judge the talent of any when it comes to different forms of art? The aesthetics of the results might an indicator.

Jarle said:
Any art can be done with any level of talent. The quality will be proportionate however.
You are right about many forms of art here but there are types of art where the average person would have no idea where to begin let alone actually be capable of creating anything.

Jarle said:
How does this matter? How could one judge the talent of any when it comes to different forms of art? The aesthetics of the results might an indicator.
Again. Not talking about the talent of individuals but the required talent of any particular artistic field. The most talented artist in the world may simply draw on paper with pencil. I can do the same but I am no master. But say the second most talented artist in the world is a stone sculptor. Even though I have read a book on how to sculpt stone I would hardly know where to begin. To even start requires far more talent than drawing a stick figure.

Anything created by a god.

TheStatutoryApe said:
You are right about many forms of art here but there are types of art where the average person would have no idea where to begin let alone actually be capable of creating anything.

Again. Not talking about the talent of individuals but the required talent of any particular artistic field. The most talented artist in the world may simply draw on paper with pencil. I can do the same but I am no master. But say the second most talented artist in the world is a stone sculptor. Even though I have read a book on how to sculpt stone I would hardly know where to begin. To even start requires far more talent than drawing a stick figure.

Drawing well is harder than sculpting I find... and I've done both and studied both hmmm.

TheStatutoryApe said:

Still, you must admit there is no definite line that differentiates an artist from a non-artist when doing art. I would say that any person that unfold ones creativity is an artist to some degree; may it be through painting, writing or anything.

Surely the art that requires the most talent will manifest itself as the art that is most performed poorly (i.e. so many attempt yet so few succeed).

So with that logic, perhaps the art form requiring the most talent is ... bagpipes?

I really can't speek for anyone else (what is art?, what is talent), but personally and currently the most captivating artists for me, in plural, are those who have constructed and add to this forum.

Sorry! said:
Drawing well is harder than sculpting I find... and I've done both and studied both hmmm.
I'm a lapsed artist. I have done drawing, ceramic sculpture, painting, poetry, short story writing, and photography. I also used to work in an art supply store. I actually do have a book on wood and stone sculpture and have made attempts at both. I have generally found that subtractive art takes a rather different and more demanding sort of perception than additive. I can sculpt ceramic fairly well. Wood took a bit of work and I had major issues trying to figure out how to deal with the grain and knots in the wood. Stone is quite unyielding and takes lots of patience and close attention. I never got even halfway done with the small piece of stone I tried working on.

Thinking three dimensionally may be much easier for some and subtractive art may be more sensible for some as well. I would say though that those people simply have greater talent for that sort of art.

Jarle said:
Still, you must admit there is no definite line that differentiates an artist from a non-artist when doing art. I would say that any person that unfold ones creativity is an artist to some degree; may it be through painting, writing or anything.
This is what I mean. If a nonartist can make a reasonable attempt at working a particular medium it probably does not require as much talent. The difference between drawing with pencils and drawing with charcoals. Painting with water colours and painting in oils. Or even singing in a thrash punk band versus singing in an acapella group. I am not denigrating the talent of water colour artists or punk singers (I enjoy them myself) only realizing the difference in work and talent involved in the different mediums.

DaveC426913 said:
Surely the art that requires the most talent will manifest itself as the art that is most performed poorly (i.e. so many attempt yet so few succeed).

So with that logic, perhaps the art form requiring the most talent is ... bagpipes?
I love bagpipes. I even have The Scottish Rogues playing The Clumsy Lover as a ring tone on my phone. :-)

ah so Ape you're just talking about the how much skill a art form requires to create something that resembles what a work of art in that form should look like.

So someone who can draw isn't as talented as an artist who can paint... I'm not sure I agree about the different types of painting I personally find that watercolours are the hardest to use. Some find acrylics hard to use...

What does that say about the artist though? Is say Michalangelo a more talented artist because he creates sculptures (subtractive) than say Picasso because his sculptures are the additive type? (I've never seen a Picasso sculpture that is what you described as subtractive if he has done this though then my bad on the comparisson you get the point though?)

Sorry! said:
So someone who can draw isn't as talented as an artist who can paint...

I'm trying not to say this. I am only referring to the minimum required talent or skill level for a medium. I would accept that a pencil and paper artist may be the most talented artist in the world but I do not think that the particular art form requires much talent. I am capable of drawing pencil and paper myself...
878546938_l.jpg

But I am far from being so talented as the greatest artists.

Some may argue that the greatest artists of any particular medium are more talented due to the greater degree of talent required for their particular medium but I do not think that necessarily follows logically.

Highest art is bringing an art to another level.

Aristotle, Picasso, Copernicus, etc...

DaveC426913 said:

Awesome! You can't argue with that... (i guess)

JasonRox said:
Highest art is bringing an art to another level.

Aristotle, Picasso, Copernicus, etc...

Sounds like "pair o' dimes" to me.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I love bagpipes.
As do I. I wuz just goin' with the flow... :wink:

The most difficult... the arts are just to abstact to define or evaluate. Personally, one of the greatest artist that embodies realism, detail, abstractness, and thinking out of the box is none other than M.C. Escher.

http://fetchcollection.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mcescher.jpg [Broken]

Escher_1.jpg

lw132f5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like cumulus clouds better than cirrus clouds, but neither are better than the other. Comparing cumulus clouds to sandstone cliffs doesn't make my preferences any higher. The art is in the perception of the artist. The quality of the art comes from his ability to express his perception. The most basic tools any artist has are his senses and his imagination.

I can look at scenery and see it with my eyes. I can't paint a picture of it that expresses clearly what I see. Though most everyone can see, it is the most basic talent of a painter to use their sight well. An artist that excels at expressing their perception is, IMO, the highest form of artist, regardless of their art.

Phrak said:
I really can't speek for anyone else (what is art?, what is talent), but personally and currently the most captivating artists for me, in plural, are those who have constructed and add to this forum.

I like this answer.

I'm personally staggered by the huge creativity and technique behind many major musical compositions, ranging from Bach's solo suites for violin and cello to Rachmaninov's piano concertos. It's not difficult to write simple music, even for full orchestra, but being able to write great music is a rare skill. Nowadays with all sorts of electronic aids and instruments it may be possible to manufacture film or TV music quite rapidly, but only a few current composers (such as the film music composer John Williams) manage to produce convincing results.

I'm also equally amazed by some musical performers; I'm supposed to be "good" myself at several instruments and can play various well-known concertos, but from where I am the great pianists and violinists are still far in the distance above me.

I'm particular impressed by pianists who can play difficult works with apparent ease; I know from personal experience that piano music frequently requires a much greater "bandwidth" of information flow than most other musical instruments because of the sheer number of notes involved and the independence required between many different threads being played using only two hands!

<h2>1. What is the definition of "talent" in regards to art?</h2><p>The definition of "talent" in regards to art can vary, but it generally refers to a natural ability or skill in creating art. This can include technical skills, creativity, and a unique perspective.</p><h2>2. Is there a specific type of art that requires the most talent?</h2><p>This is a subjective question as different types of art require different skills and talents. Some may argue that realistic drawing or painting requires the most talent, while others may argue that abstract or conceptual art requires a different type of talent.</p><h2>3. Can anyone become talented in a specific type of art?</h2><p>While some people may have a natural inclination towards a certain type of art, talent can also be developed through practice, dedication, and learning from others. However, it is important to recognize that everyone's artistic journey and abilities are unique.</p><h2>4. Is talent the only factor in creating successful art?</h2><p>No, talent is not the only factor in creating successful art. Other factors such as hard work, dedication, experimentation, and a strong concept or message can also contribute to the success of a piece of art.</p><h2>5. How can one improve their talent in a specific type of art?</h2><p>Improving talent in a specific type of art requires practice, studying and learning from other artists, experimenting with different techniques and styles, and continuously challenging oneself to grow and improve. It is also important to have a strong passion and dedication for the art form.</p>

1. What is the definition of "talent" in regards to art?

The definition of "talent" in regards to art can vary, but it generally refers to a natural ability or skill in creating art. This can include technical skills, creativity, and a unique perspective.

2. Is there a specific type of art that requires the most talent?

This is a subjective question as different types of art require different skills and talents. Some may argue that realistic drawing or painting requires the most talent, while others may argue that abstract or conceptual art requires a different type of talent.

3. Can anyone become talented in a specific type of art?

While some people may have a natural inclination towards a certain type of art, talent can also be developed through practice, dedication, and learning from others. However, it is important to recognize that everyone's artistic journey and abilities are unique.

4. Is talent the only factor in creating successful art?

No, talent is not the only factor in creating successful art. Other factors such as hard work, dedication, experimentation, and a strong concept or message can also contribute to the success of a piece of art.

5. How can one improve their talent in a specific type of art?

Improving talent in a specific type of art requires practice, studying and learning from other artists, experimenting with different techniques and styles, and continuously challenging oneself to grow and improve. It is also important to have a strong passion and dedication for the art form.