A Tale of Unfulfilled Information Literacy

In summary, the conversation discusses various holidays and awareness months that occur in October and November. The participants express feelings of ignorance and regret for not being aware of these events. The conversation also touches on the importance and significance of these holidays and the potential impact of limiting the number of publicly announced holidays.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Having just read Barak Obama's proclamation on National Information Literacy Awareness Month, 2009, I feel like a total loser. I've been completely illiterate when it came to knowing there was any such thing as National Information Literacy Awareness Month. Worse yet, I didn't even find out it existed until it was already over (National Information Literacy Awareness Month is in October).

Other signs that I've fallen way short when it comes to information literacy:

October was National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Not only did I not increase my awareness about Domestic Violence, I wasn't even aware that there was a special month for it.

I failed to realize that October 11 through October 17, 2009 was National School Lunch Week. Not only did I not give a single young American a wholesome, nutritious lunch, I don't think I even ate one myself. I feel pathetic (and kind of hungry).

Missing General Pulaski Memorial Day really bugs me. At first I thought it was in honor of Ed Pulaski, inventor of the Pulaski firefighting tool and a forest ranger that saved 45 people during disastorous Idaho forest fires in 1910. Then I found out it was really about some general from the Revolutionary War. Now I feel bad, both for my ignorance and for Ed Pulaski, who certainly deserves a memorial day of his own.

And I missed Leif Erickson Day and White Cane Safety Day (but at least I managed to stop before running over that guy with a white cane - that would have been some bitter irony).

I really wish someone would have let me know it was National Forest Products Week - I could have used more pencils and paper that week. They should have National Plastics Products Week the same week. Then you could combine usage by shooting wads of forest products out of a tubular plastics product. Or are we supposed to reduce usage of forest products that week to conserve them. Once again, I'm just illiterate when it comes to October causes.

And how could miss Count Chocula's week. I really wanted to see him count. Or is it some other national character that counts that week. Geez, I wish I knew those kind of things.

I'm glad the NFL wore pink last month (well, not really - in fact, it was a little weird) or I would have completely missed National Breast Awareness Month.

And Declaration of a National Emergency With Respect to the 2009 H1N1 Influenza Pandemic? What kind of a holiday is that?! Oh, wait :uhh:. I guess some of those proclamations are for important things other than holidays.

Presidential Proclamations for 2009

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow am I ignorant!

http://www.classbrain.com/artholiday/publish/article_220.shtml

Thanks, Bob. My awareness is now raised.

qspeechc said:
Wow am I ignorant!

http://www.classbrain.com/artholiday/publish/article_220.shtml

Some of those are unofficial, but still a cool page.

Today is National Chicken Lady Day!

The Chicken Lady has helped thousands to learn the art of public speaking. Each year as a thank you, people come out and have a celebration to show their appreciation for what she has done to help them. Thirty of them, thanks to the Chicken Lady, have published their own books.

One of her keynote topics was "How to Speak Locally and Get Laid". Wait, I misread that. What does getting "Paid" have to do with chickens? In fact, why would a chicken lady be associated with public speaking?

Oh and before I forget, a very happy unbirthday today too, Bob

Best thread in a long time.

I did learn that today is "Perigean Spring Tides (November 4)" which is important to me since my yard (and garage) flood when the tides are high and there is a strong northeast wind. The wind is only 8 mph right now out of the NE so I should be ok (depends on how high the tide is however).

Are you illiterate, ignorant, or uninformed?

Anyway, I think that you have to think very highly about your event in order to claim an entire month for your cause. Could you imagine what would happen if you created a law allowing only one publicly announced "day","week", or "month", per event. It would create chaos, maybe even wars.

Now if you'll excuse me I am celebrating this day in 1825 when the Erie Canal was completed. You celebrate by web surfing during your lunch break.

Damn, we all missed cliche' day. That would have been fun.

On the 11th we have Vox Populi day. Every one ought to pile into P&WA that day.

BobG said:
I failed to realize that October 11 through October 17, 2009 was National School Lunch Week. Not only did I not give a single young American a wholesome, nutritious lunch, I don't think I even ate one myself. I feel pathetic (and kind of hungry).

Have some tater tots, Bob. You'll feel better.

There are so many holidays to enjoy this month:
http://holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/november.htm

Gotta love November..

Aviation History Month
Child Safety Protection Month
International Drum Month
National Adoption Awareness Month
National Epilepsy Month
National Model Railroad Month
Native American Heritage Month
Peanut Butter Lovers Month
Real Jewelry Month
National Sleep Comfort Month
Send MIH Chocolate Month

I'm especially looking forward to National Indian Pudding Day on the 13th and Absurdity Day on the 20th.

Math Is Hard said:
Send MIH Chocolate Month

Is there a PO Box to send it to? or could I maybe just buy you a chocolate martini?

Math Is Hard said:
...Send MIH Chocolate Month...

:rofl:

TheStatutoryApe said:
Is there a PO Box to send it to? or could I maybe just buy you a chocolate martini?

I've always wanted to try a chocolate martini. I think it would either be really good or really bad.

Geophysics got a whole year when I was a kid.

I hope that I need not remind you Americans that since 1964, October the 15th has been your White Cane Safety Day?

Here is your president's orders to you on that day:

" I call upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and programs."

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=86771

Math Is Hard said:
I've always wanted to try a chocolate martini. I think it would either be really good or really bad.

My wife has recently discvered them. And looooooves them. I don't mind em either.

arildno said:
" I call upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and programs."

I wonder what is appropriate... run up and give anyone with a white cane a random big hug?

Does anyone remember when there was only one cause per month?

Math Is Hard said:

I've tried one. They are sort of syrupy sweet but strong and with a bite*. If you like Amaretto and liquors like that you might like a chocolate martini.

*like I like my women ;-p

Math Is Hard said:
Gotta love November..

International Drum Month
National Sleep Comfort Month
I can't help but think those two really don't belong in the same month. It's a bit hard to sleep comfortably with all that drumming going on. (I am working on the sleep comfort part though.)

Send MIH Chocolate Month

:rofl: I missed that the first time!

Moonbear said:
Does anyone remember when there was only one cause per month?

Yes, but remember that months are based on the Moon's orbit. The Moon is slowly moving further away from the Earth, making each orbit, and each month longer. We can fit more causes in a month now.

Strong? Weak?
http://www.army.mil/-news/2009/06/01/21957-fairfax-county-announces-army-strong-week/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, yesterday I wanted to wish everyone happy "http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/November/nocompassday.htm" " day, but I guess I lost my bearings.

physics girl phd said:
Man, yesterday I wanted to wish everyone happy "http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/November/nocompassday.htm" " day, but I guess I lost my bearings.

That's likely the result of today also being the start of the http://sdbw.org/ week

TheStatutoryApe said:
I've tried one. They are sort of syrupy sweet but strong and with a bite*. If you like Amaretto and liquors like that you might like a chocolate martini.

*like I like my women ;-p

I can't make that joke, since I like my martinis dirty. :biggrin:

physics girl phd said:

That's pretty much every day of my existence.

What is "A Tale of Unfulfilled Information Literacy"?

"A Tale of Unfulfilled Information Literacy" is a fictional story that depicts the consequences of not having strong information literacy skills. It follows the main character, Jane, as she navigates a world where information is readily available but not always reliable.

Why is information literacy important?

Information literacy is important because it allows individuals to effectively find, evaluate, and use information. In today's digital age, where information is constantly being shared and accessed, having strong information literacy skills is crucial for making informed decisions and avoiding misinformation.

What are some examples of information literacy skills?

Some examples of information literacy skills include being able to distinguish between reliable and unreliable sources, critically evaluating information for bias or accuracy, and effectively using search strategies to find relevant and credible information.

How can one improve their information literacy skills?

One can improve their information literacy skills by staying curious and asking questions, staying updated on current events and issues, fact-checking information from multiple sources, and seeking out resources and tools that can help with information literacy.

What are the consequences of not having strong information literacy skills?

Not having strong information literacy skills can lead to making uninformed decisions, falling victim to misinformation, and contributing to the spread of false information. It can also hinder one's ability to learn and grow, both personally and professionally.