Stress and Strain/ Hooke's Law Question

In summary, the 50 kg traffic light has a percentage increase in the length of the cable due to the mass of the traffic light.
swifel7

Homework Statement

A 50 kg traffic light is suspended above an intersection by a continuous steel cable. The cable has a diameter of 1.0 cm, and the light is depressed 12 degrees below the horizontal. What is the percentage increase in the length of the cable due to the mass of the traffic light?

Homework Equations

Stress=Force/Area
Strain=Change in length/original length
Young's elastic modulus(E)=Stress/Strain
Area = (pi) x (r^2)

E for steel is 200 x 10^9

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I found the stress and strain, but now I am lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi swifel Welcome to the board. Can you calculate the tension in the cables first? Can you then find the stress in the cable? Once you do that, do you know how stress, strain and modulus relate? Can you then determine the length change?

are you given the value for steel or did you look it up?
I think you are overreading the question and it is simple a triangle geometry question

I was given the E value for steel.

The question wants the percentage increase in the cable's length and you've found strain, which IS the percentage increase in length.

hi ideas.
ideasrule said:
The question wants the percentage increase in the cable's length and you've found strain, which IS the percentage increase in length.
where above do you see strain being calculated?

In that case you can easily find the stress (weight of light and area)
Then with E you can find strain, strain is the relative increase in length

Q_Goest said:
hi ideas.

where above do you see strain being calculated?

The OP said he calculated the stress & strain. He probably had trouble calculating the absolute change in length of the cable, not realizing it wasn't necessary to calculate percentage change.

ideasrule said:
The OP said he calculated the stress & strain. He probably had trouble calculating the absolute change in length of the cable, not realizing it wasn't necessary to calculate percentage change.
lol ... yep...

Wow, I already had the answer? Now I feel dumb, oh well. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

1. What is stress and strain?

Stress is the force applied to an object per unit area, while strain is the deformation or change in shape that occurs in an object in response to stress.

2. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the amount of deformation in an elastic material is directly proportional to the force applied to it. This means that the more stress applied, the greater the strain and deformation.

3. What is the relationship between stress and strain?

The relationship between stress and strain is linear in elastic materials, meaning that as stress increases, strain also increases in a proportional manner.

4. What is the elastic limit?

The elastic limit is the maximum stress that a material can withstand without experiencing permanent deformation. Beyond this point, the material will experience plastic deformation and will not return to its original shape when the stress is removed.

5. How is Hooke's Law used in engineering?

Hooke's Law is used in engineering to determine the behavior of materials under stress and to design structures that can withstand these stresses. It is also used to calculate the stiffness of materials and to predict their behavior under different types of stress.