DC Volts & Amps to Recharge 8.8 kWh Chevy Volt in 15 Min

In summary, the fastest, most powerful Class III battery charger can recharge 8.8 kWh into a Chevy Volt battery pack in 15 minutes. To achieve this, the most likely combination of DC volts and amps would be one with a high V/I ratio, which would result in less power loss from resistance.
jesricha

Homework Statement

The fastest, most powerful Class III battery charger available is supposed to recharge 8.8 kWh into a Chevy Volt battery pack in 15 minutes. What is the most likely combination of DC volts and amps to do this and why?

Homework Equations

W=VxI (I = amps)
a 120 V unit can do 12 I in 6 hours

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If I remember correctly, P = IV (not the work, but the rate of work -- power). That would mean that you would have 8.8 [kWh]/15 [min] = I*V (be sure to convert the units appropriately). For DC circuits, I would assume the most likely condition would be the one with an appropriately large V/I ratio (more voltage and less current would imply less power loss from resistance).

The most likely combination of DC volts and amps to recharge 8.8 kWh in 15 minutes would be 352 volts and 25 amps. This is because the equation W=VxI can be rearranged to solve for I, giving us I=W/V. Plugging in the values of 8.8 kWh for W and 15 minutes (or 0.25 hours) for V, we get 25 amps. Additionally, since we know that a 120 V unit can do 12 amps in 6 hours, we can estimate that a 240 V unit can do 12 amps in 3 hours, and a 480 V unit can do 12 amps in 1.5 hours. Therefore, a 352 V unit would be able to do 25 amps in 0.75 hours or 45 minutes, which is close to the desired time of 15 minutes. This combination of high voltage and high current would provide enough energy to quickly recharge the 8.8 kWh battery pack in a short amount of time.

1. How does DC voltage and amperage affect the recharge time of the Chevy Volt?

The Chevy Volt has a battery capacity of 8.8 kWh, which means it requires a certain amount of energy to fully charge. The combination of DC voltage and amperage determines how quickly this energy can be transferred to the battery. Higher voltage and amperage can result in a faster recharge time, while lower voltage and amperage will take longer.

2. Can the Chevy Volt be fully recharged in 15 minutes using DC voltage and amperage?

In theory, yes, it is possible to fully recharge the Chevy Volt with 8.8 kWh in 15 minutes using DC voltage and amperage. However, this would require a very high voltage and amperage, which may not be practical or safe for everyday use. Most charging stations and home outlets do not provide this level of power.

3. What is the average DC voltage and amperage needed to recharge a Chevy Volt in 15 minutes?

The average DC voltage and amperage needed to recharge a Chevy Volt in 15 minutes would depend on the specific charging station or outlet being used. Generally, a DC voltage of 400-800 volts and an amperage of 100-300 amps would be necessary to achieve a 15-minute recharge time.

4. Are there any risks associated with using high DC voltage and amperage to recharge a car battery?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with using high DC voltage and amperage to recharge a car battery. These include electric shock hazards, overheating of the battery or charging equipment, and potential damage to the battery if the proper voltage and amperage levels are not maintained.

5. Can the Chevy Volt be recharged using AC voltage and amperage?

Yes, the Chevy Volt can also be recharged using AC voltage and amperage. However, this will typically result in a longer recharge time compared to using DC voltage and amperage. The recommended AC voltage for the Chevy Volt is 120 volts for home charging and 240 volts for faster charging at public stations.