Material Selection for Separating Acrylic Acid from Butyl Acrylate

In summary, the individual is currently working on an Engineering Materials assignment for their Chemical Engineering course. The assignment involves selecting a suitable material for a binary distillation column that separates acrylic acid from butyl acrylate. They are also required to calculate the design temperature and pressure of the column, as well as compare the wall thickness with British/American standards. They are seeking weblinks for the relevant British/American standards and data tables for corrosion data of butyl acrylate. They clarify that they are not seeking help with the coursework itself but only assistance in finding the necessary resources.
strive4jannah
In my Chemical engineering Course, I have an Engineering Materials assignment, which needs to be submitted by this Monday.

It contains questions based on the mechanical design of a binary distillation column that separates acrylic acid from butyl acrylate.

I'm required to select a material, which would be suitable for the construction of this specific column.

I hope someone can direct me to weblinks for this particular design.

Secondly, I'm required to calculate:

a, the design temperature and pressure of the column according to British/American standards

b, After calculating the wall thickness value, I'm required to compare it with the British/American standards

For these questions, I require access to the relevant British/American standards.

I am looking for the weblinks for the relevant British/American standards.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can someone also provide a reference for the Data Tables for Corrosion Data of Butyl Acrylate being exposed to Metals

(i.e. Butyl Acrylate: Corrosion Data for Metals )

I was able to find it online for Acrylic Acid but couldn't do so for Butyl Acrylate

Hello dearest,

I find it extremely resourceful of you to find you posting your coursework question here. I'll ask the RA's to search for your profile. Better luck running away.

I am sorry for any misunderstanding; ... I wish to do the coursework myself.

I was looking for help in locating the relevant British/American standard online and some data tables online.

I thought that there is nothing wrong in seeking assistance in finding standards & data tables online.

If that is considered wrong, I would refrain to do so.

1. What factors should be considered when selecting materials for separating acrylic acid from butyl acrylate?

When selecting materials for separating acrylic acid from butyl acrylate, it is important to consider factors such as chemical compatibility, solubility, thermal stability, and mechanical strength. These factors will help ensure that the chosen materials can effectively separate the two compounds without causing any degradation or contamination.

2. Which materials are commonly used for separating acrylic acid from butyl acrylate?

Some commonly used materials for separating acrylic acid from butyl acrylate include polystyrene, polypropylene, and polyethylene. These polymers are known for their chemical resistance and can withstand the harsh conditions of the separation process.

3. How do I determine the most suitable material for my specific separation process?

The most suitable material for your separation process will depend on the specific conditions and requirements of your process. It is important to consult with a materials expert or conduct compatibility tests to determine the best material for your specific needs.

4. Can I use a single material for both the liquid and vapor phases in the separation process?

In most cases, it is not recommended to use a single material for both the liquid and vapor phases in the separation process. This is because the material may behave differently in each phase and could potentially lead to inefficiencies or failures in the separation process.

5. Are there any alternative materials that can be used for separating acrylic acid from butyl acrylate?

Yes, there are some alternative materials that can be used for separating acrylic acid from butyl acrylate. These include ceramic materials, such as alumina and silica, which offer high chemical resistance and thermal stability. However, these materials may be more expensive and less readily available compared to polymers.