How Can I Understand and Use Double-Angle Formulas in Trigonometry?

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of double-angle formulas in trigonometry, specifically the formulas for sin2x, cos2x, and tan2x. The conversation also includes a problem-solving example using these formulas and a discussion on how to find tan2x. The summary also mentions the use of the addition rule in finding the values of sin2x, cos2x, and tan2x.
Cod
For some reason, I cannot comprehend the concepts behind this. I read the example problems over and over; however, I still cannot understand the process when I go to study or do work on it.

Just to refresh your minds, the double-angle formulas:

sin2x = 2(sinx)(cosx)
cos2x = cos^2x - sin^2x = 1 - 2sin^2x = 2cos^2x-1
tan2x = 2tanx/1-tan^2x

The book example:

If cosx = -2/3 and x is in quadrant II; find sin2x and cos2x.

If someone could explain the processes when using these formulas to solve problems, I'd greatly appreciate it. The book just isn't helping me any.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sin x = sqrt(1 - (cos x)^2). Since cos x = -2/3 we have:
sin x = sqrt(5/9). So sin x = sqrt(5)/3 or sin x = -sqrt(5)/3.
We know that x is in the second quadrant and that makes sin x > 0. So sin x = sqrt(5)/3. Now you know sin x and cos x. Just replace them and find sin 2x and cos 2x.

cos 2x = (cos x)^2 - (sin x)^2 so it's less confusing...

It's quite simple really:you have cos x,then you compute sinx and sustitute in the formulas for the double angle.Got it??

So how would you go about finding 'tan2x'? I understand that tanx = sinx/cosx. I just don't see how you can plug that into the formula: tan2x = 2tanx/1-tan^2x.

Unless...

2(sinx/cosx)/1-(sin^2x/cos^2x) <-----would that be correct?

If that's correct, would I just plug in the known values of sin and cos? Then do the arithmatic?

Last edited:
yes, you could do that or you could do (sin 2x/cos 2x) after you have found the previous two results.

I think this might be what you are looking for:

sin(2x) = sin(x+x)
cos(2x) = cos(x+x)
tan(2x) = sin(2x)/cos(2x)

now we use the rule of addition:
sin(x+x) = sin(x)cos(x) + cos(x)sin(x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)
cos(x+x) = cos(x)cos(x) - sin(x)sin(x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) = cos^2(x) - (1 - cos^2(x)) = 2cos^2(x) - 1

tan(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x) / 2cos^2(x) - 1 ... etc

Last edited:

1. What are double-angle formulas?

Double-angle formulas are trigonometric identities that involve doubling an angle and expressing it as a function of the original angle. They are used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve trigonometric equations.

2. What is the double-angle formula for sine?

The double-angle formula for sine is: sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x). This means that the sine of twice an angle is equal to twice the sine of the angle multiplied by the cosine of the angle.

3. How do double-angle formulas help in solving trigonometric equations?

Double-angle formulas allow us to simplify expressions and rewrite them in terms of the original angle, making it easier to solve for the unknown variable. They also help us to identify relationships between trigonometric functions, allowing us to use them interchangeably in equations.

4. Can double-angle formulas be used for any angle?

Yes, double-angle formulas can be used for any angle, whether it is acute, right, or obtuse. However, the resulting value may be negative or undefined depending on the quadrant in which the angle lies.

5. How are double-angle formulas related to half-angle formulas?

Double-angle formulas can be derived from half-angle formulas, which express a trigonometric function of half an angle in terms of the original angle. This can be done by substituting x with 2x in the half-angle formula. Similarly, half-angle formulas can be derived from double-angle formulas by solving for x/2.