Robotic gripper circuiot problems

• Thread starter mh5594
  • Start date
In summary, the main problem with the robotic gripper is that the 5 identical motors are pulling different currents due to their slightly different internal resistances. This leads to issues such as motor losing power or overheating. The use of small H bridges may also contribute to the problem. The goal is to find novel solutions to minimize and control mechanical friction and voltage drops, and ensure that the force of each motor is proportional to the current. The use of a thermagel heat dissipation strip attached to the H bridges is suggested as a possible improvement. However, more information on the Vcc voltage, H-bridges, and motor current is needed to fully assess the situation.
mh5594
Robotic gripper

I need some ideas on how to solve these problems;

I have 5 identical motors running independantly in the gripper. Each one of them has a slightly different internal resistance and therefore pulls a different current.

My main problems are either the motor losing power or overheating, this is due to the motors not pulling an equal current. I think the problem might also stem from the very small H bridges that I am using to drive each of the motors.

What I am interested in knowing is if there are any novel solutions to minimise and control the mechanical friction, and also to minimise any voltage drops. Ideally I am looking for a situation where the force of each motor in the gripper is exactly proortional to the current. Also that the force and the current could be read accurately from a powerprofile for each of the motors.

Do you think I would see an improvement if I used a thermagel heat dissipation strip attached to the H bridges?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You didn't state the Vcc voltage, the H-bridges, and the motor current you are using. Most H-bridges are relatively inefficient below ~6 volts; 12 volts is better. Are you using PWM (pulse width modulation) to control motor current? The automotive industry has made 12 volts a standard for H-bridge efficiency and performance design. Are any of your H-bridges too hot to touch? If yes then heatsink it to metal with thermally conductive compound.
Bob S

One potential solution to your problem could be to implement a closed-loop control system for your gripper motors. This would involve using sensors to monitor the current and force of each motor and adjusting the power supply accordingly to ensure equal current and force distribution. This could also help prevent overheating by automatically adjusting the power supply to each motor as needed.

Another option could be to use motors with more uniform internal resistance, or to calibrate the current settings for each individual motor to ensure they are all pulling the same amount of current. This could help reduce the discrepancies in current and minimize voltage drops.

Using a thermagel heat dissipation strip may also be beneficial in reducing overheating, but it would be important to carefully monitor the temperature and make sure it does not negatively affect the performance of the motors.

Overall, it may be helpful to consult with a robotics expert or engineer to find the most effective solution for your specific gripper circuit problems. They may have additional insights or suggestions based on their experience and knowledge in this field.

1. What is a robotic gripper circuit?

A robotic gripper circuit is an electronic system designed to control the movements of a robotic gripper. It consists of various components such as sensors, actuators, and microcontrollers that work together to enable the gripper to grip and release objects with precision.

2. What are some common problems with robotic gripper circuits?

Some common problems with robotic gripper circuits include malfunctioning sensors, faulty wiring, and programming errors. These issues can result in the gripper not responding correctly or not being able to grip objects properly.

3. How can I troubleshoot problems with my robotic gripper circuit?

To troubleshoot problems with your robotic gripper circuit, you can start by checking all the connections and wiring to make sure they are secure and functioning properly. You can also use a multimeter to test the voltage and current flow in the circuit. Additionally, reviewing the code and making any necessary adjustments can help resolve programming issues.

4. What are some tips for maintaining a robotic gripper circuit?

Regular maintenance is important for ensuring the proper functioning of a robotic gripper circuit. This includes cleaning the gripper and its components to prevent debris from interfering with its movements. It is also essential to regularly check and replace any worn or damaged parts to prevent malfunctions.

5. Can I make my own robotic gripper circuit?

Yes, it is possible to make your own robotic gripper circuit with the right knowledge and resources. However, it requires a good understanding of electronics and programming. There are also DIY kits and tutorials available online that can guide you through the process of building a robotic gripper circuit.