The harmonic oscillator in terms of path integrals without dirac notation

In summary, the conversation is about a person named Roberto who is looking for literature on the harmonic oscillator in terms of the path integral formulation, without the use of Dirac notation or Schrodinger or matrix algebra. They have tried multiple books but haven't found what they are looking for. Another person named Roberto offers to help by suggesting the book "Feynman's Thesis - A New Approach to Quantum Mechanics." They provide their email for further communication.
roberto85
Hi, I'm desperately searching for some literature which discusses the harmonic oscillator, preferably simple, in terms of the path integral formulation. I am unfamiliar with dirac notation and want something as simple as possible which gives general results of the harmonic oscillator in terms of path integrals. Also avoiding schroedinger or matrix algebra also in the literature for this particular piece I am writing, pure PI formulation is required. Also, internet sources would be easiest.

I have tried a few books, sakurai, feynman and hibbs and a few others but not found what I am looking for. Please if anyone can help me, I am on a deadline. Many thanks

Roberto

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,maybe i can help you.
The book named <<Feynman's thesis--a new approach to quantum mechanics>> may be of great use to you!
Write me an email so that i can give you a reply and send you the book.
My email is zhaoliang_fly@yahoo.com.cn

There are several resources available online that discuss the harmonic oscillator in terms of path integrals without using Dirac notation. One possible source is the blog "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Banks, which has a section on the harmonic oscillator in path integral form. Another possible resource is the paper "Quantum mechanics in path integral form: The harmonic oscillator" by Charles S. Peskin, which can be found on the arXiv preprint server. Additionally, you may find helpful information on the website "Path Integrals in Quantum Mechanics" by Professor Holger Bech Nielsen from the University of Copenhagen.

In general, the path integral formulation of the harmonic oscillator involves integrating over all possible paths that the system could take in time, weighted by a phase factor. This allows for a more intuitive understanding of the system compared to traditional Schrodinger or matrix algebra approaches. The resulting path integral can be solved using various techniques, such as the saddle point approximation or perturbation theory.

I hope these resources will be helpful in your research. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the harmonic oscillator in terms of path integrals without Dirac notation?

The harmonic oscillator is a simple physical system that can be described using path integrals without Dirac notation. It involves a particle moving back and forth in a potential well, experiencing a restoring force proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. How does the path integral approach differ from the traditional approach using Dirac notation?

The path integral approach involves summing over all possible paths that the particle can take, while the traditional approach using Dirac notation involves solving the differential equations of motion. The path integral approach is often more intuitive and allows for a simpler calculation of physical quantities.

3. What are the advantages of using path integrals without Dirac notation?

One of the main advantages of using path integrals without Dirac notation is that it allows for a more intuitive understanding of quantum mechanics. It also allows for the calculation of physical quantities that are difficult to obtain using traditional methods, such as tunneling probabilities.

4. Can the harmonic oscillator be described using both path integrals and Dirac notation?

Yes, the harmonic oscillator can be described using both path integrals and Dirac notation. However, the path integral approach is often preferred due to its simplicity and intuitive nature.

5. Are there any limitations to using path integrals without Dirac notation to describe the harmonic oscillator?

While the path integral approach is a powerful tool for describing the harmonic oscillator, it does have its limitations. In particular, it is difficult to apply to systems with many interacting particles, making it less useful for some areas of physics.