Solving COMSOL Particle Tracing Problem with Boundary Coordinates

In summary, the conversation was about using the particle tracing feature in COMSOL. The user was having trouble finding the Boundary Coordinates feature in the program, which is necessary for specifying the starting points for tracing electrons. They were also trying to set up a simple exercise involving two plates with spherical protrusions, one grounded and one at a fixed potential, to see the traces of electrons launched from a defined circular region on the grounded sphere. It was mentioned that Boundary Coordinates may not be applicable for a 3D case.
LucianImago
Hello all,

I have a small problem with COMSOL. I am trying to use the particle tracing feature, more precisely I want to use the boundary coordinates to specify where are the points from which to trace the electrons. From what I understand in the User's Giude, the Boundary Coordinates feature should be in the particle tracing tab in the postprocessing window. According to the giude (page 521) "To use boundary coordinates, click the option button to the left of the Boundary Coordinates button; then click that button to open the Boundary Coordinates dialog box." The problem is I cannot find this in the program. I hope someone shine some light on.

As for what I am trying to do is a simple exercise so I get used to these settings for particle tracing. I have two plates with a spherical protrusion on each, such that one spherical protrusion is right below the other one. One of the plates is grounded and the other one is set at a fixed potential. I would like to be able to define a circular region on the grounded sphere as the starting points for lunching electrons and see the traces.

Cheers,

Lucian

Engineering news on Phys.org
i thought your case is 3D, but Boundary coordinates is in 2D

1. How do I set up boundary coordinates for a particle tracing problem in COMSOL?

To set up boundary coordinates for a particle tracing problem in COMSOL, you will first need to define the geometry of your problem. This can be done using CAD models, importing external geometry, or creating your own geometry in COMSOL. Once you have defined the geometry, you can then add boundaries to your model and specify their coordinates using the built-in coordinate system. These boundary coordinates will then be used to guide the particle tracing process.

2. What type of boundary conditions should I use for a particle tracing problem?

The type of boundary conditions you should use for a particle tracing problem will depend on the specific problem you are trying to solve. In general, you will need to specify the initial position and velocity of the particles at each boundary, as well as any forces or constraints that may be present. COMSOL offers a variety of built-in boundary conditions, such as inflow/outflow, reflecting, and periodic boundaries, that can be used for particle tracing problems. You can also define your own custom boundary conditions if needed.

3. How do I visualize the results of a particle tracing simulation in COMSOL?

Once you have set up and solved your particle tracing problem in COMSOL, you can visualize the results using the built-in post-processing tools. These tools allow you to view the trajectories of the particles, as well as their positions and velocities at different time points. You can also plot variables such as particle concentration or velocity along specified paths or surfaces in your model. Additionally, you can export the results to other software for further analysis or visualization.

4. Can I model interactions between particles in a COMSOL particle tracing simulation?

Yes, it is possible to model interactions between particles in a COMSOL particle tracing simulation. COMSOL offers a variety of built-in particle interaction models, such as drag force, coulomb force, and van der Waals forces, that can be added to your model. You can also define your own custom interaction models using the COMSOL programming interface (API).

5. How do I improve the accuracy and speed of my particle tracing simulation in COMSOL?

To improve the accuracy and speed of your particle tracing simulation in COMSOL, you can use adaptive mesh refinement and time stepping techniques. These techniques allow the mesh and time steps to be automatically adjusted based on the behavior of the particles, leading to more accurate and efficient simulations. Additionally, you can optimize your model settings and parameters, such as the solver type and tolerance, to achieve better performance. Lastly, using a parallel computing environment can significantly speed up simulations with large numbers of particles.