Quantum Entanglement: Bell's Telephone - Possible FTL Comms?

In summary, the faster than light communication described in this article is not true, as it does not use quantum entanglement.
maaku
Faster than light communication w/ Quantum Entanglement (Bell's telephone)--Possible?

I got intrigued by the following description: of a faster than light communications grid over interstellar distances:

http://www.seti.org.au/spacecom/quantumcom.html

Normally I'd ignore such things on the Internet, but this is hosted on a SETI webserver, an institution with generally respectable scientific credentials.

The short summary is that it's Bell's telephone, but with generator of entangled photons moved to half way between the sender and the receiver. Instead of overlaying another signal on top of the light beam (as in Bell's telephone), the sender uses a shutter to alternate blocking the light (say, a 1 bit) vs. just letting it be (a 0 bit). Observation of the resulting interference pattern at the receiving end should (according to the author) allow the receiver to deduce whether or not the shutter was closed at the other end.

Is this true? Despite being a former engineering physics major, my knowledge of quantum entanglement is too rusty to help me out here..

Physics news on Phys.org

No, even without looking at the reference I can say that this is not correct.
You can't use entanglement to transfer information FTL.

maaku said:
I got intrigued by the following description: of a faster than light communications grid over interstellar distances:

Normally I'd ignore such things on the Internet, but this is hosted on a SETI webserver, an institution with generally respectable scientific credentials.

The short summary is that it's Bell's telephone, but with generator of entangled photons moved to half way between the sender and the receiver. Instead of overlaying another signal on top of the light beam (as in Bell's telephone), the sender uses a shutter to alternate blocking the light (say, a 1 bit) vs. just letting it be (a 0 bit). Observation of the resulting interference pattern at the receiving end should (according to the author) allow the receiver to deduce whether or not the shutter was closed at the other end.

Is this true? Despite being a former engineering physics major, my knowledge of quantum entanglement is too rusty to help me out here..

Welcome to PhysicsForums, maaku!

No it is incorrect, though this is a good try and many have fallen victim to it. (Me included.) The reason is quite simple: entangled photons generally do not interfere in a double slit apparatus!

Experiment and the foundations of quantum physics

See figure 2, page 290.

maaku said:

The author is John Walsh, and it appeared in 1999. That is the same year as the reference I gave above was published. Walsh references Zeilinger (the author of the reference I gave) and obviously was not aware of the little kink I mentioned.

This should definitely be removed from the SETI site, they probably forgot about it years ago.

I sent a message to someone at SETI. By the way, this looks to be the Australian site. The world is upside down in that place, so maybe quantum mechanics works differently there. :smile:

Thanks Dr.Chinese! That confirms my intuition, but I had no way of proving it. I look forward to reading the reference you linked to. I appreciate the help!

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances.

2. How does quantum entanglement relate to Bell's Telephone?

Bell's Telephone is a thought experiment that demonstrates the concept of quantum entanglement. It involves two entangled particles, A and B, being separated and then each being sent a random message. The correlation between the messages received by A and B is used to show the non-local nature of entanglement.

3. Is it possible to use quantum entanglement for faster-than-light (FTL) communication?

While entangled particles can communicate instantaneously, it is not possible to use this phenomenon for FTL communication. This is because the information exchanged through entanglement is random and cannot be controlled or manipulated to send specific messages.

4. How is quantum entanglement being used in technology?

Quantum entanglement is being explored for potential use in quantum computing and cryptography. It is also being studied for its potential applications in secure communication and teleportation.

5. What are the implications of quantum entanglement for our understanding of the universe?

Quantum entanglement challenges our traditional understanding of cause and effect, as it suggests that particles can influence each other instantaneously regardless of distance. It also raises questions about the nature of reality and the interconnectedness of the universe.