Battery Powered Nichrome Heating Element (80 Degrees)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of nichrome wire to build a heating element that can reach temperatures of 80-100 degrees. The speaker is also looking to run the test off of battery power and is seeking advice on the best materials and methods for a safe and effective heating element. Additionally, they mention wanting to achieve a higher temperature of 200 degrees in a short amount of time and the limitations of using nichrome coils for this purpose.
ryancanulla
Hi there,

I have been doing research on a lil private project of my own, and am looking for some help.

Would it make sense to use nichrome wire to build a heating element that will heat to 80-100 degrees? It seems that nichrome is great for heating way way past that temperature. I want to run this initial test off of battery power.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Science news on Phys.org
More information needed? Fahrenheit?,Open loop control?, closed loop? How about the wrap for pipes that helps keep them from freezing, open loop-constant temp, would that work?

Last edited:
Hi there,

I'm looking to heat a 4in X 4in pad to 80 degrees F. Sorry I am a real newbie in this area, and trying to prototype a battery powered heating element.

I'm trying to apply this at a very small scale to not cause any6 bodily harm, start fires etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hello. I am trying to create a heating element which can reach 200f withing 2 seconds, is no bigger then 1/4" in diameter, can withstand repeated heating and cooling cycles for long periods of time, and is immersible in propylene glycol. I am shooting for the 3.7v to 7.4v area. Those are the only constraints.
I have achieved this with nichrome coils, but the lifespan is simply to short.
Any ideas?

I would say that using a battery powered nichrome heating element to reach a temperature of 80-100 degrees is definitely feasible. Nichrome wire is a popular choice for heating elements due to its high resistance and ability to withstand high temperatures. However, it is important to carefully consider the power source and the specific properties of the nichrome wire in order to ensure safe and efficient heating. Additionally, you may want to consider using a temperature controller or thermostat to regulate the temperature and prevent overheating. Overall, I think this is a promising project and I wish you success in your research.

1. How does a battery powered nichrome heating element work?

A battery powered nichrome heating element works by using the electrical resistance of nichrome wire to generate heat. When an electric current passes through the wire, the resistance causes the wire to heat up, producing heat that can be used for various purposes.

2. What is the temperature range of a battery powered nichrome heating element?

The temperature range of a battery powered nichrome heating element depends on the specific type of nichrome wire used and the amount of current passing through it. However, on average, a battery powered nichrome heating element can reach temperatures of up to 80 degrees Celsius.

3. How long does it take for a battery powered nichrome heating element to heat up?

The heating time of a battery powered nichrome heating element also depends on the type of nichrome wire and the amount of current being supplied. Typically, it can take a few seconds to reach the desired temperature of 80 degrees Celsius.

4. What are the advantages of using a battery powered nichrome heating element?

Some advantages of using a battery powered nichrome heating element include its portability, as it does not require a direct power source, and its quick heating time. It is also a cost-effective option for small-scale heating needs.

5. What are common applications of a battery powered nichrome heating element?

A battery powered nichrome heating element can be used for various applications, such as heating small containers or objects, soldering, and even cooking. It is commonly used in portable electronic devices, such as hair straighteners and heating pads.