Abstract algebra. proving things about U(n)

In summary, the problem involves proving that for any element g in Z*_n, g^2 = 1, indicating that g has an order of 2 or is the identity. The largest value of n for which every non-identity element of Z*_n has an order of 2 is 24. This can be shown by checking for all m<24, such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 12, and proving that for other m<24, there is at least one element g in U(m) for which g^2 is not equal to 1 (mod m). It is also important to note that the set of co-primes,
cap.r

Homework Statement

prove that if g is in Z*_n then g^2=1, so g has order 2 or is the identity.
show that the largest value of n for which every non identity element of Z*_n has order 2. which are these others.

Homework Equations

Z*_n = U(n) different notation it is the the group of co primes to n less than n.
For example: Z*_10 =U(10)={1,3,7,9}, with 3x7=1; 7x7=9 etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

ok the problem as 3 parts.
1) Show that for every element g in U(24), g^2 = 1.
This is easy to check by direct computation. e.g. 5x5=1, 11x11=1 etc.

2) Find all m < 24, such that every g in U(m)has the property g^2=1(mod m).
My hunch is: we must have m = 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12
I have to show that the above statement is correct and then also
establish that for other m <24
(i.e m=5, 7, 9, 10,...,23) there is some g in U(m) for which
g^2 is *NOT* equal to 1(mod m). I need help with this part.

3) The third part is to show that:
for all m > 24, there is a g in U(m) such that
g^2 is *NOT* equal to 1(mod m).
dont' know how to do this part either. but i think getting part 2 will help with this part.

Physics news on Phys.org
just bumping this hoping to get more views. I am still stuck and not sure how to proceed.

ok so I have noticed that the only numbers that posses this property are number where U(n) is a set of only primes. for example U(9) includes 4. and 2^2 is not 1 mod 9. but the numbers 12,8,6,4,2 all have the property that their U(n) ring contains only prime numbers and thus they posses the desired property. but I don't know how to prove this.

also I need to show that the U(n) for any number greater than 24 always contains a non prime number. i feel like i can do this, but the fact that all the elements in U(n) must be prime is what still needs to be proven.

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, and their properties. It focuses on the concept of abstract objects and their relationships, rather than specific numerical calculations.

2. What is U(n) in abstract algebra?

U(n) is a group of all invertible n-by-n complex matrices under multiplication. In other words, it is the set of all n-by-n matrices with complex entries that have a multiplicative inverse. This group is also known as the unitary group.

3. How do you prove things about U(n)?

To prove things about U(n), one must use the properties and definitions of abstract algebra, as well as specific properties of U(n). This may involve using techniques such as induction, direct proofs, or contradiction.

4. What are some common theorems in abstract algebra?

Some common theorems in abstract algebra include the Lagrange's theorem, which states that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the group, and the First Isomorphism Theorem, which states that if there is a homomorphism between two groups, then the quotient group is isomorphic to the image of the homomorphism.

5. How is abstract algebra used in other fields of science?

Abstract algebra has applications in many fields of science, including computer science, physics, and cryptography. In computer science, it is used in the development of algorithms and coding theory. In physics, it is used to understand symmetry and group theory. In cryptography, it is used to develop secure encryption methods.