How long to reach Mars at 11,000 m/s?

• Thread starter terpsgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Time
In summary: But I'm sure there are lots of people with similar names and initials.In summary, the conversation revolved around a person trying to calculate the time it would take to travel to Mars at a speed of 11,000 m/s. After receiving incorrect answers and struggling to understand the problem, it was suggested to keep track of units and use a conversion technique to get the correct answer. It was also mentioned that keeping track of units is a basic concept in physics.
terpsgirl
A rocket moves through space at 11,000 m/s. At this rate, how much time will be required to go to Mars (78.3 x 10^6 km)?

i used t= d/v

and got 5.05 x 10^ -4

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can't get the correct answer

Physics news on Phys.org
terpsgirl said:
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Neither am I, because you haven't shown any of your steps.

How did you get your answer?

Why don't you show us the exact numbers you are plugging in. Don't forget to use consistent units. For example, don't mix meters and kilometers.

11,000 m/s

I got my numerator figure by converting 78.3 x 10 ^6 km
and got 21,751,740 m/s

terpsgirl said:
I got my numerator figure by converting 78.3 x 10 ^6 km
and got 21,751,740 m/s

You can't convert km to m/s. The former is a distance, the latter is a speed.

You should have converted 78.3 x 106 km to meters. The numerical value will only differ by a power of 10. Also, you're dividing in the wrong order. The speed v goes on the bottom, and the distance d goes on top.

I got 71181818.18 = 71 seconds as my answer. THX :)

terpsgirl said:
I got 71181818.18 = 71 seconds as my answer. THX :)

The answer is t=7118181.81 seconds (which is about 82 days). You can't round that to 71 seconds (which is a minute and 11 seconds).

Uh, I think Tom meant the they would differ by A power of 10, not that 78.3 x 10^6 km equaled 78.3 x10^10 meters. To go from km to meters, multiply by 1000 (or just change the power of ten by three - 78.3 x 10^6 to 78.3 x 10^9)

And how did 71 plus million seconds suddenly turn into only 71 seconds. You might want to convert your 7 million+ seconds into something a little more manageable such as days, for example.

Tracking dimensions

There's a really good technique that a physics teacher taught me (although it's probably common use.) For now, whenever you do a physics problem, you should keep track of the units.

Here's an example problem which is similar to yours:

So, let's say we have a car that is traveling at [tex]5 \times 10^2 feet/sec[/tex] and we want to know how many days it will take to drive [tex]7 \times 10^5 miles[/tex].

So, of course, we start with[tex]d=vt[/tex]. Since we want to solve for time, we divide both sides by [tex]v[/tex] so we have [tex]t=\frac{d}{v}[/tex]

So, let's plug in the numbers:

[tex]t=\frac{d}{v}=\frac{7 \times 10^5 miles}{5 \times 10^2 feet/sec}=1.4 \times 10^3 \frac{sec \times miles}{ft}[/tex]

Of course, second miles per foot are not appropriate units, since we want days. So we can do the following:
[tex]1 mile=5280 ft[/tex]
[tex] 1=\frac{5280 ft }{1 mile}[/tex]
so
[tex]t=1.4 \times 10^3 \frac{sec \times miles}{ft} =1.4 \times 10^3 \frac{sec \times miles}{ft} \times 1 = [/tex]
[tex]1.4 \times 10^3 \frac{sec \times miles}{ft} \times \frac{5280 ft}{1 mile}=7 \times 10^6 sec[/tex]
Note that the miles and feet cancel nicely when you multiply out.
Now, to get from seconds to days, you can use a similar approach:
[tex]7 \times 10^6 sec \times \frac{1 minute}{60 seconds} \times \frac{1 hour}{60 minutes} \times \frac{1 day}{24 hours}\approx 1.2 \times 10^1 days[/tex]

If you write up your problem in a similar fashion, you're less likely to make mistakes, and people here, and your teacher, will have an easier time helping you.

P.S. I was playing a bit fast and loose with sig figs there. You should be more careful.

Every physics teacher should teach about keeping track of units! That's a basic concept :).

By the way, I am still wodering if "NateTG" is "Nate the great" who was "12 years old" for more years than I can remember! If so he has finally grown up. His responses actually make sense now!

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
By the way, I am still wodering if "NateTG" is "Nate the great" who was "12 years old" for more years than I can remember! If so he has finally grown up. His responses actually make sense now!

Since you're in VA, probably not.

1. How long does it take to travel to Mars?

The amount of time it takes to travel to Mars depends on several factors, including the distance between Earth and Mars at the time of travel and the speed of the spacecraft. On average, it takes about 7-9 months to travel from Earth to Mars.

2. What is the minimum time needed to go to Mars?

The minimum time needed to go to Mars varies depending on the type of spacecraft and the trajectory chosen for the journey. Currently, the shortest estimated travel time is around 6 months, but this would require a very fast spacecraft and a favorable alignment between Earth and Mars.

3. How long does it take for a human to travel to Mars?

The estimated travel time for humans to Mars is also around 7-9 months. However, this time frame may increase depending on the amount of supplies and equipment needed for the journey, as well as the time spent on the Martian surface.

4. How long does it take for a spacecraft to reach Mars?

The time it takes for a spacecraft to reach Mars depends on the type of propulsion system and the distance between Earth and Mars at the time of travel. Generally, it takes between 6-9 months for a spacecraft to reach Mars.

5. Can the travel time to Mars be shortened?

Scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies to shorten the travel time to Mars. However, it is unlikely that the travel time will be significantly reduced in the near future due to the vast distances and limitations of current propulsion systems.