Exploring the HUP: Real Numbers and Imaginary Components

• Thread starter Bob3141592
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hup
In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical expression for the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and how it relates to the operators of position and momentum in quantum mechanics. It mentions that these operators are not real numbers but instead act on the Hilbert space of quantum states. The conversation also touches on the use of imaginary numbers in quantum physics and the importance of hermitian operators in ensuring real eigenvalues for measurement results.
Bob3141592
A reply in a different thread got me thinking. The Heisenberg Uncertainty principly is really a mathematical expression about the noncomutative behavior of operators, that is (using the standard position and momentum) p q - q p >= i h / 2 pi.

But aren't both position and momentum strictly defined in the reals? How does a difference in operations between two reals produce an imaginary component?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, in quantum mechanics p and q are not real numbers. Thery are operators that act on the Hilbert space of quantum states. Check out the elementary derivation of the Schroedinger equation.

selfAdjoint said:
No, in quantum mechanics p and q are not real numbers. Thery are operators that act on the Hilbert space of quantum states. Check out the elementary derivation of the Schroedinger equation.

Thanks. I only took one course in quantum physics, and I'd always had problems with the way imaginary numbers were used in it. Maybe it was a hang up because of the name. But after cranking through the equations and applying the results to an actual measurement, it always seemed there was an imaginary component left over that was just thrown away, and I was uncomfortable with that. Maybe after these three decades if I get the chance to study it again I'd do better.

Operators of observables such as position and momentum need to be hermitian to ensure that the eigenvalues are real numbers, since the eigenvalues are the numbers that are supposed to correspond to the various possible results that an experiment can yield for anyone particular measurement.

What is the HUP?

The HUP stands for Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. It is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

What are real numbers?

Real numbers are numbers that can be found on a number line and include both positive and negative numbers, as well as zero. They can be represented by decimal or fraction form and can be used to measure quantities in the physical world.

What are imaginary components?

Imaginary components are numbers that are not found on a number line and are denoted by the letter "i". They are used to represent the square root of negative numbers and are an essential part of complex numbers, which are used in many scientific and mathematical applications.

How are real numbers and imaginary components related?

Real numbers and imaginary components are related through complex numbers, which are made up of a real part and an imaginary part. They are often used together in equations and calculations, and the combination of both types of numbers allows for a more comprehensive understanding of mathematical concepts.

Why is it important to explore the HUP?

Exploring the HUP allows scientists to better understand the behavior of particles at a microscopic level and make accurate predictions about their properties. It is also a key principle in understanding quantum mechanics, which is essential in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.