Generator used in a power station

In summary: Synchronous machines can be used with or without a synchronous frequency. The required synchronous frequency is determined by the load.
davidcowling
What sort of generator is used in a power station? (synchronous, asynchronous)... And what is the difference between.

- Asynchronous Generator
- Synchronous Generator
- Alternator
- Dynamo

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Synchronous Generator. Is this homework?

No its not. I am currently applying for a place on a graduate scheme and looking at some of the possible questions they will be asking.

Thanks for your help

You got through an undergrad degree without learning this? My program required electro-mechanical studies.

Anyway, my probably too short answer:

Asynchronous - Induction motors basically. Speed varies with load when used as a motor. Frequency varies with load when used as a generator.

Synchronous - Constant speed motor or constant frequency generator regardless of load. This is why it's used in power systems. Too much load causes instant stall. It also has interesting impedance properties that can be used to tune power grids. Cannot self-start. Needs a kick-start motor.

Alternator - A catch-all term for anything that generates AC power. If there is some definition that is more formal then I don't know it.

dynamo - DC motor/generator. Unlike AC motors, the dynamo's speed can be electrically controlled over a wide range. AC motors tend to have target speed ranges (called a speed-torque curve) and they'll stall outside of their designed operating conditions. Dynamo's are good for variable speed applications. Generally less efficient than AC motors at high throughput but more efficient at very small powers.

Am i right in thinking that a synchronous machine used in a power station has to be spun past its synchronous frequency to generate electricity?

No, but that's what you would have to do for an asynchronous generator depending on the load.

Both synchronous and async generators are used in power stations. Async tend to be smaller and must be in a network capable of supplying the extra reactive power. The largest async one I have worked on is 2MW, small.

What is a generator used in a power station?

A generator used in a power station is a machine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is a crucial component in the process of generating electricity from various sources such as fossil fuels, nuclear energy, and renewable sources like wind and water.

How does a generator work in a power station?

A generator works by rotating a coil of wire in a magnetic field. This rotation induces an electric current in the wire, creating electricity. In a power station, the rotation of the coil is powered by a turbine, which is driven by steam, water, or wind energy.

What is the difference between an AC and DC generator?

An AC (alternating current) generator produces electricity that periodically changes direction, while a DC (direct current) generator produces electricity that flows in only one direction. AC generators are more commonly used in power stations because they are more efficient for long-distance transmission of electricity.

What are the main components of a generator in a power station?

The main components of a generator in a power station include a rotor, stator, exciter, governor, and control panel. The rotor is the rotating part of the generator, while the stator is the stationary part. The exciter supplies the initial electrical current to start the generator, and the governor controls the speed of the turbine. The control panel monitors and regulates the generator's output.

What are the different types of generators used in power stations?

The most common types of generators used in power stations are steam, gas, and hydroelectric generators. Steam generators use steam produced by heating water with fossil fuels or nuclear energy. Gas generators use natural gas or diesel to power the turbine. Hydroelectric generators use the energy from falling water to turn the turbine and generate electricity.