What is the ideal thickness for a 304 stainless steel waste water tank?

In summary: My mistake, it is indeed sheet, the design is supported by legs and my concern is that the pressure of the waste material is going to bare down on the floor etc too heavily and cause a puncture, my background is in design engineering so I'm not really sure where the ideal areas for bracing are, I've no real experience in waste water as my experience in working with stainless steel was purely for decorative purposes.
NeverSayNever
Hi,

I'm constructing a waste water tank of 304 stainless steel plate and I'm not sure what thickness the material should be, the tank is approximately 2750mm x 1500mm x 1750mm

What would the ideal thickness be for the 304 stainless plate and would there be any specific areas I should focus on adding bracing for strength?

ANY help that can be offered is welcome

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you really mean plate or so you mean sheet, which is likely to be thinner?
For example standard sink units are made from 1.2 mm 304 steel. Stainless tanks are often made from corrugate sheet 1 - 2mm thick. The forming adds stiffness to such thin sheet.
Depending upon your base bearers or floor you might need a thicker bottom.

Galvanised tanks are usually of thicker material.

There are plenty of manufacturers showing their ideas on the net here is a good example.

http://www.mc-integ.com/lists_view.cfm?ID=18

Last edited by a moderator:
My mistake, it is indeed sheet, the design is supported by legs and my concern is that the pressure of the waste material is going to bare down on the floor etc too heavily and cause a puncture, my background is in design engineering so I'm not really sure where the ideal areas for bracing are, I've no real experience in waste water as my experience in working with stainless steel was purely for decorative purposes

The tank is pretty much a square so I am not really sure where to start, any ideas?

Studiot said:
Do you really mean plate or so you mean sheet, which is likely to be thinner?
For example standard sink units are made from 1.2 mm 304 steel. Stainless tanks are often made from corrugate sheet 1 - 2mm thick. The forming adds stiffness to such thin sheet.
Depending upon your base bearers or floor you might need a thicker bottom.

Galvanised tanks are usually of thicker material.

There are plenty of manufacturers showing their ideas on the net here is a good example.

http://www.mc-integ.com/lists_view.cfm?ID=18

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes djbravo

1. What is the standard thickness for stainless steel?

The standard thickness for stainless steel varies depending on the type and grade of the steel. However, the most commonly used standard thickness for stainless steel is between 0.024 inches (24 gauge) and 0.187 inches (7 gauge).

2. How is the thickness of stainless steel measured?

The thickness of stainless steel is typically measured in gauges, with the lower gauge numbers indicating a thicker steel. Alternatively, it can also be measured in millimeters or inches using a micrometer or caliper.

3. What factors determine the appropriate thickness of stainless steel for a specific application?

The appropriate thickness of stainless steel for a specific application depends on several factors, including the type of environment the steel will be exposed to, the level of corrosion resistance needed, and the amount of weight or pressure the steel will need to withstand.

4. Is thicker stainless steel always better?

No, thicker stainless steel is not always better. In some cases, thicker steel may be unnecessary and add unnecessary weight and cost. It is important to consider the specific application and choose the appropriate thickness for optimal performance and cost-effectiveness.

5. Can stainless steel be cut to a specific thickness?

Yes, stainless steel can be cut to a specific thickness using various cutting methods such as shearing, laser cutting, and waterjet cutting. However, the available thickness options may vary depending on the cutting method used.