What is the difference between pulse response and impulse response?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between pulse response and impulse response. It is noted that the terms are sometimes used interchangeably, but "impulse response" is the correct term. The speaker explains that "impulse" is a mathematical concept while "pulse" refers to a finite duration. The usefulness of impulse response in working with LTI systems is also mentioned.
QwertyXP
I would like to know the difference between pulse response and impulse response.

I looked for "pulse" and "impulse" on the internet and found that on some websites they had been used interchangeably. Apart from that I checked out some books and found that they use the term "impulse response" (or unit impulse response) and not "pulse response". Is there really a difference between the two terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Impulse" usually refers to a ideal mathematical concept. It's the limit of a square topped pulse of finite duration, as the duration is allowed to approach zero, but with the amplitude simultaneously increasing so that the area under this vanishing pulse remains constant.

Whereas, to me, an "ordinary" pulse refers to a square topped pulse of finite duration. If the duration of the pulse is made infinitely long, then you have the "step" response.

Hmm.. I think I get it. From your answer I deduce that impulse is actually a form of a pulse (just that its width approaches zero).
Anyway thanks a lot for your reply!

QwertyXP said:
I would like to know the difference between pulse response and impulse response.

I looked for "pulse" and "impulse" on the internet and found that on some websites they had been used interchangeably. Apart from that I checked out some books and found that they use the term "impulse response" (or unit impulse response) and not "pulse response". Is there really a difference between the two terms?

I don't think I've heard the term "pulse response". I think it's just being used incorrectly, instead of "impulse response".

Quiz Question -- Why is the impulse response so useful in working with LTI systems? We really do use the impulse response for real-world system analysis.

Pulse response and impulse response are two terms that are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two.

The pulse response refers to the output of a system in response to a pulse input. A pulse input is a signal that has a sudden change in amplitude and then returns to its original value. This type of input can be seen as a sudden disturbance or shock to the system. The pulse response is a measure of how the system reacts to this disturbance over time.

On the other hand, the impulse response refers to the output of a system in response to an impulse input. An impulse input is a signal that has a very short duration, almost instantaneous, and has an infinite amplitude. This type of input can be seen as a sudden force or push applied to the system. The impulse response is a measure of how the system responds to this force over time.

In summary, the main difference between pulse response and impulse response is the type of input signal used to measure the system's response. While both terms refer to the system's output over time, the pulse response is measured in response to a pulse input, while the impulse response is measured in response to an impulse input.

1. What is the definition of pulse response and impulse response?

Pulse response and impulse response are two types of responses that show the behavior of a system when it is subjected to a specific input signal. They are commonly used in the field of signal processing and control systems.

2. What is the main difference between pulse response and impulse response?

The main difference between pulse response and impulse response is the shape of the input signal. A pulse response is generated by a rectangular pulse input signal, while an impulse response is generated by a single, instantaneous input signal.

3. How do pulse response and impulse response affect the stability of a system?

In general, a system is considered stable if its response to a bounded input signal is also bounded. Pulse response and impulse response can affect the stability of a system by amplifying or attenuating certain frequencies in the input signal.

4. Can pulse response and impulse response be used interchangeably?

No, pulse response and impulse response cannot be used interchangeably. They represent different types of responses and have different mathematical representations. However, they can both be used to analyze the behavior of a system and make predictions about its stability and performance.

5. How are pulse response and impulse response measured or calculated?

Pulse response and impulse response can be measured or calculated by applying a known input signal to a system and then measuring the output signal. The resulting data can be used to calculate the response of the system using mathematical techniques such as convolution.