Does Hydrogen's one electron spin?

In summary: It's crazy how much weight that content has.In summary, elements with multiple electrons seem to push themselves around the nucleus due to their polar resistance with other electrons. So in theory, with no other electrons to push into, could hydrogen's one electron be stationary.
Moviemann345
Elements with multiple electrons seem to push themselves around the nucleus due to their polar resistance with other electrons.. So in theory, with no other electrons to push into, could hydrogen's one electron be stationary

Physics news on Phys.org
Moviemann345 said:
Elements with multiple electrons seem to push themselves around the nucleus due to their polar resistance with other electrons.. So in theory, with no other electrons to push into, could hydrogen's one electron be stationary

Nope, you still have those pesky "smears", and electrons can't be localized, never mind made stationary. I think you're mixing Classical E&M with the QM view, but there are brighter minds here with far more knowledge, and I am not a physicist.

BTW, Welcome to PF!

Thanks, and yeah i guess your right. I am going to rephrase: Does electron spin occur purely due to quarks? If so, how?

^^^actually i don't think that's a good question either. Ugh i need to look back into this.

Moviemann345 said:
Thanks, and yeah i guess your right. I am going to rephrase: Does electron spin occur purely due to quarks? If so, how?

What kind of spin are you thinking of? Intrinsic spin, in the quantum sense, I'm assuming, right?

As for how quarks contribute to this, it's definitely not a settled issue. It may be that the interaction of the 3 quarks which form Fermions is all that is needed, but there are theories which include surrounding quarks and gluon field. I don't believe there is a single answer, beyond the notion that this is an intrinsic quality that has no 100% Classical analogy.

This is probably more helpful than I can be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator:
Moviemann345 said:
^^^actually i don't think that's a good question either. Ugh i need to look back into this.

No, that's a VERY good question, it's just not one with an answer yet. I think if you do a bit of reading on this, you're going to find it somewhat intuitive. Most people struggle with the notion of probablistic "smears", but you took that in stride. I would also add again, that I am no expert, but here to learn as well. Given a bit of time, an advisor will probably add their 2 cents, which is worth significantly more than mine! :smile:

Moviemann345 said:
Does electron spin occur purely due to quarks?

Electrons aren't made of quarks. Hadrons (protons, neutrons, pions, etc.) are made of quarks.

Electrons are leptons, which also includes muons, taus, and neutrinos. As far as we know, leptons are indivisible fundamental particles, just like quarks are.

"Theorethical brocken pieces" :rolleyes:

jtbell said:
"Theorethical brocken pieces" :rolleyes:

Yeah, it turns out that my head can spin too, given the proper motivation. Did you notice that it's been the definitive answer for TWO YEARS?!

What is the electron spin of hydrogen?

The electron in a hydrogen atom has a spin of 1/2. This means that the electron can have two possible spin states: spin up (+1/2) or spin down (-1/2).

Does hydrogen's one electron spin affect its chemical properties?

Yes, the electron spin of hydrogen can affect its chemical properties. For example, the spin of the electron can determine the magnetic properties of a hydrogen atom, which can impact its reactivity in certain chemical reactions.

Can hydrogen's electron spin be changed?

The electron spin of hydrogen cannot be changed by external factors. It is an intrinsic property of the electron and can only change through interactions with other particles, such as in nuclear reactions.

What is the significance of hydrogen's one electron spin?

The electron spin of hydrogen is significant because it is one of the fundamental properties of the atom. It helps explain the stability and behavior of atoms and molecules, and is also important in fields such as quantum mechanics and nuclear physics.

How is the electron spin of hydrogen measured?

The electron spin of hydrogen can be measured through spectroscopy techniques, such as electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy. This involves using a magnetic field to observe the energy levels of the electron and determine its spin state.