Another Beginner Question (Interfacing Computer Hardware/Circuitry)

In summary, the conversation discusses building a timer in the style of an old-school flip clock that counts from 000:00 minutes to 108:00 minutes. The timer should reset itself to 000:00 when a certain sequence of numbers is entered on the computer. The speaker is new to electronic projects and plans to use a Commodore 64, but is unsure of how to directly affect the circuitry. They ask for recommendations and resources for completing the project.
Ulnarian
So, I want to build a timer in the style of an old-school flip clock (like this http://www.ladidah.com.au/range/images/flip-clock-grey.jpg) that counts from 000:00 minutes to 108:00 minutes. Whenever a user enters a certain sequence of numbers on the computer, the timer should reset itself to 000:00.

I'm brand new to electronic projects. I reckon I can connect the output of a 555 to a flip clock motor and calibrate the gear train appropriately (haven't quite worked out the reset function yet). The thing I am not sure about is how to get my computer to directly affect the circuitry (i.e. reset the timer after the sequence is entered). Does this require specialized software? I've got an old Commodore 64 laying about that I think would work pretty nicely.

Is this something that is feasible for a newbie? Is their any documentation out there I should be reading up on?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure that is feasible, but a Commodore 64 has limited hardware possibilities. A more modern Auduino or Rasberry PI computer can do it much easier. Visit the hobby forums for those and I'm sure you'll find examples of your kind of project.

1. What is interfacing computer hardware/circuitry?

Interfacing computer hardware/circuitry is the process of connecting different components of a computer system, such as the CPU, memory, input/output devices, and other peripherals, in order for them to communicate and work together.

2. What are the types of interfaces in computer hardware/circuitry?

The three main types of interfaces in computer hardware/circuitry are parallel, serial, and USB. Parallel interfaces allow data to be transferred simultaneously over multiple wires, while serial interfaces transfer data one bit at a time. USB interfaces are a common type of serial interface used for connecting external devices.

3. How do I choose the right interface for my computer hardware/circuitry?

The best way to choose the right interface for your computer hardware/circuitry is to consider the specific components you need to connect and their compatibility with different interface types. You should also consider the speed and efficiency of the interface, as well as its availability and cost.

4. Are there any risks associated with interfacing computer hardware/circuitry?

Yes, there are some risks associated with interfacing computer hardware/circuitry, such as the potential for electrical damage if the interface is not properly installed or if there is a power surge. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and consult with a professional if you are unsure about the process.

5. Can I interface computer hardware/circuitry on my own?

It is possible to interface computer hardware/circuitry on your own, but it requires knowledge and experience in working with electronics and computer systems. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is recommended to seek the help of a professional to avoid any potential risks or damage to your computer system.