Help Guys - Petroleum Engineering

In summary, the British Undergad student is worried about the risk of working in the petroleum industry due to the possibility of peak oil. However, he is also interested in doing an MS in Petroleum Engineering at a top 100 university in the US. He would like to work as a drilling engineer/supervisor.
Byllie
Hey, I am a British Undergad student in Mechanical Engineering at a world top 100 university.

However, I do not want to stay in this country as an engineer, the remuneration & the way society treats you is crap.

I would like to do an MS in Petroleum Engineering in the US then work/live in either Canada or the US.

My ideal job is a drilling engineer/supervisor due to the economics/engineering side, the shift work and the remuneration.

However, I am a bit worried about the risk I would be taking regarding Hubbert's peak oil theory. I am struggling with the economics of it and what it would mean for those working in the petroleum industry. Would an increase in the price of oil by reducing supply increase pay/prospects of Pet Engineers? Or would there be mass redundancies as the oil price spikes then falls away?

In which case it may be better to go and work in an office environment as a mechanical engineer - less risky but less reward.

Petroleum Engineer would be my dream career and the only thing holding me back is the conflicting reports of how the oil & gas industry will play out over the next 30-40 years.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Byllie said:
Petroleum Engineer would be my dream career and the only thing holding me back is the conflicting reports of how the oil & gas industry will play out over the next 30-40 years.

I know several people working in the oil industry, and over the next 30-40 years, petroleum engineering jobs will be in high demand. The reason is that no one does it anymore and all the current petroleum engineers are getting old. Notice who benefitted from high oil prices in the past---check the profits of Exxon/Mobil, BP, etc. over the past few years.

Check out Texas A&M's program, they're one of the best in the world and probably easier to get into than, say MIT. And working near Houston you'll make all the contacts you need.

I think petroleum engineers will continue to be in demand for all your work career.

i really do need your advice guys, I am from Cameroon (west Africa) I came to the US with bachelor in mechanical engineering, I got admitted at WVU PNGE masters program and at OU petroleum engineering (bachelor program). I am confuse if I should go for the masters program at WVU (as I am concern with the reputation of WVU in the oil industry. like what companies are hiring at WVU) or should I go for a second Bachelor degree at OU. (I know OU is a great school in PE). what do u think? thanks in advance.

I understand your concerns about the future of the oil and gas industry and the potential impact on job prospects. While I cannot predict the exact outcome of Hubbert's peak oil theory, I can offer some insights and advice based on my knowledge and experience.

Firstly, it is important to note that the demand for energy, including oil and gas, is only expected to increase in the coming decades. This means that there will still be a need for skilled professionals in the industry, including petroleum engineers. However, the industry is constantly evolving and adapting to new technologies and market trends, so it is crucial to stay updated and continuously develop your skills.

In terms of job security and remuneration, it is difficult to predict how things will play out. It is possible that a decrease in supply could result in higher prices and therefore better job prospects and pay for petroleum engineers. However, there are also factors such as renewable energy sources and government policies that could impact the industry.

My advice would be to stay informed and flexible. Consider gaining experience in both the petroleum industry and other related fields, such as renewable energy or alternative fuels. This will not only diversify your skill set but also make you more marketable in case of any major shifts in the industry.

Ultimately, it is important to pursue a career path that aligns with your interests and goals. If petroleum engineering is your dream career, then I encourage you to pursue it. Just be prepared to adapt to changes and be open to exploring other opportunities within the industry if necessary.

1. What is Petroleum Engineering?

Petroleum engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the exploration, extraction, and production of oil and natural gas. It involves using various technologies and techniques to locate and extract these resources from the earth.

2. What do Petroleum Engineers do?

Petroleum engineers are responsible for designing and implementing methods for extracting oil and natural gas from the earth. They also analyze data to determine the best locations for drilling and develop plans for the safe and efficient extraction of resources.

3. How does Petroleum Engineering impact the environment?

The extraction of oil and natural gas can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it provides us with essential energy resources. On the other hand, it can lead to air and water pollution and contribute to climate change. Petroleum engineers have a responsibility to minimize these negative impacts and implement sustainable practices.

4. What skills are needed to become a Petroleum Engineer?

Petroleum engineers need a strong foundation in math, physics, and chemistry. They also need excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills. Knowledge of computer programming and data analysis is also important in this field.

5. What are the job prospects for Petroleum Engineers?

The job prospects for petroleum engineers are generally favorable, as the demand for energy continues to increase. However, the industry is subject to fluctuations in oil and gas prices, which can affect job availability. It is important for petroleum engineers to stay updated on industry trends and adapt to changing technologies to remain competitive in the job market.