Euler rotations in galactic plane to change to equatorial

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Euler rotations to establish the rotation angles needed to point an axis towards the equatorial North pole in the galactic coordinate system. The conversation also mentions the singularity at the poles in this system and provides links to online conversion tools for convenience.
birdhen
HI there,

I am having problems understanding something.
If I have an axis pointing towards the galactic north pole, and I rotate it using an Euler rotations how can I can I establish the rotation angles needed so that it will be pointing to the equatorial North pole.
I am looking for values alpha and beta where alpha can run from -pi-->pi and beta can run from -pi/2-->pi/2.

Many thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thank you for your reply. I am getting confused still. Would the galactic north pole just have l=0 b=90 in galactic coordinates? I am imagining the surface of a sphere, if b=90 is the top point of the sphere, then there can be no l value as the horizontal plane through the sphere would just be a point.

These types of coordinates systems have a singularity at the poles, so the north galactic pole has coordinates (L=anything, B=90). The same is true on the Earth. If the latitude is 90 degrees, it doesn't matter what the longitude is, you are at the pole.

OK , of course, thanks !

1. What are Euler rotations?

Euler rotations are a mathematical technique used to describe the orientation of a coordinate system in three-dimensional space. They involve rotating the coordinate system around three different axes.

2. How are Euler rotations used in the galactic plane to equatorial transformation?

In the context of astronomy, Euler rotations are used to transform coordinates from the galactic plane (a coordinate system aligned with the Milky Way galaxy) to the equatorial plane (a coordinate system aligned with the Earth's equator).

3. What is the purpose of transforming coordinates from the galactic plane to the equatorial plane?

Transforming coordinates from the galactic plane to the equatorial plane allows for easier comparison and analysis of celestial objects. It also allows for more accurate and consistent measurements and observations.

4. Are there different conventions for Euler rotations in the galactic plane to equatorial transformation?

Yes, there are different conventions for Euler rotations, including the B1950 and J2000 conventions. These conventions specify the specific axes and angles used in the rotation process.

5. What are some potential challenges when using Euler rotations in the galactic plane to equatorial transformation?

Some potential challenges include understanding and implementing the correct conventions, as well as accounting for any systematic errors in the transformation process. It is also important to use accurate and precise measurements in order to minimize errors in the final transformed coordinates.