What is the difference between individual and collective goals?

• Thread starter Evil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation delves into the topic of purpose in life and what governs the way we live our lives. Some believe that the purpose is to learn and understand how our thoughts and actions shape our reality, while others see it as a pursuit of pleasure and reproduction. The idea of individual purpose versus collective purpose is also discussed, with some believing that our individual purpose is to find a reason to live and feel needed. The conversation ends with the realization that goals, whether individual or collective, are constantly evolving and dependent on various factors.
Evil
just want to know...
Whats your purpose in life?
what governs the way u live your life?

Physics news on Phys.org
Evil said:
just want to know...
who knows? probably a different mission for each of us.

in a general sense, I've come to believe that we are here to learn how our thoughts, emotions, ideas, expectations and actions create our reality. how we decide to learn is where we individualize our mission.

why? who knows? but if i decided how i wanted to learn, then i must know within and of myself what is to be accomplished.

i govern because i decided.

love&peace,
olde drunk

Im here to learn as much as possible and use it to make the rest of the world "better". I define what I mean by "better" too, (probably along the lines of getting everyone to think and behave in a productive manner, rather than destructive to society). Once again, I leave it up to my experiences and knowledge to shape what I constitute "productive".

TV, sex, drugs, and violence in that order.

wuliheron said:
TV, sex, drugs, and violence in that order.
c'mon, you KNOW it is sex, sex, sex, sex, all the other interests are because you want sex.

TV also fills the void when not engaged in or in pursuit of sex.

freud was right, just went a tad overboard. while it is our primary male goal, we will behave rationally when we are distracted from our quest.

love&peace,
olde drunk

A pursuit/purpose in life is to have sex and to reproduce? What if one believes their purpose is otherwise such like Newton, who may have died a virgin?

My purpose in life is connecting the dots. You know those books with numbered dots? That's my purpose, to connect them.

olde drunk said:
c'mon, you KNOW it is sex, sex, sex, sex, all the other interests are because you want sex.

TV also fills the void when not engaged in or in pursuit of sex.

freud was right, just went a tad overboard. while it is our primary male goal, we will behave rationally when we are distracted from our quest.

love&peace,
olde drunk

Hey, I'm working on a lawsuit against the major networks, don't spoil it for me!

Erus said:
A pursuit/purpose in life is to have sex and to reproduce? What if one believes their purpose is otherwise such like Newton, who may have died a virgin?

My purpose in life is connecting the dots. You know those books with numbered dots? That's my purpose, to connect them.

The collective purpose is something that is natural. It is written into the granite of ancient nature.

The individual purpose is something that we may choose to choose to create. If you choose not to create this, then it is easy to fall back on the collective purpose, and no one will think you the lesser for it.

Evil said:
just want to know...

the purpose in life is to live
and find a reason individually to do so and feel needed

Many of you seem to be saying that the purpose is to find a purpose. That is non-sensical. The fact that we can create a purpose doesn't mean that that is the purpose.

Tom McCurdy said:
the purpose in life is to live
and find a reason individually to do so and feel needed

then watz the purpose of living?

'cause evil there's nothing else to do

the reason YOU are alive is in your subconscious. generally, we are all learning to use and control our energy.

how we go about that general purpose is subject to our freewill, within the limits of physical laws. in a very, very objective sense whatever we do assists us, there is no good or bad, right or wrong.

personally, i think it is more fun to enjoy what i am doing and do good things. as said above, live life, your way.

love&peace,
olde drunk

The purpose of life

From a biological standpoint it seems that the only purpose of life is to survive and reproduce.

Over the past 5 billion years Earth has been in exitence it seems that organisms are getting more and more complex and therefore more self aware, so in addition to the two above reasons for life I also include self awareness as a purpose for life. The fact that "Evil" is in a philosophy forum inquiring such questions that he, like myself, wish to obtain greater self awareness.

The universe is alive and thinking because WE are alive and thinking.

Life purpose and digestive tubism

RAD4921 said:
From a biological standpoint it seems that the only purpose of life is to survive and reproduce.
  • A perhaps shorter life lived for the spiritual values of one's group is better than a longer one lived merely as a digestive tube.
(Raymond Cattell. A New Morality from Science. 1972. ch 5, sec 5.6.)

To Hitssquad

I have to agree that it is quality of life that is more valuable than quantity of life.

I've accepted that every one has a unique purpose but driven by the same meaning. That's a good enough reason for me to seek what I want and reach my own goals.

to adopt to the environment in order to survive, to prevent extinction? the mind ?

Enos said:
I've accepted that every one has a unique purpose but driven by the same meaning. That's a good enough reason for me to seek what I want and reach my own goals.

Goal is a vague term. Often when we self-deceptively think that we are pursuing our individual goals only to find out sooner that such goals have multiple levels of dependency upon several other things. And then we naively think of individually owning our own goals. My own sudies inform me that a goal is only worth its while when collectivelly pursued. The best goal is that derived via collective responsibility. It's the most likely one to last! You are probably thinking of 'EPHEMRAL GOALS' which may quite rightly be associated with individuals. PERMANENT GOALS are those collectivelly pursued many times over until subsequently or finally derived at.

Last edited:

What is the meaning of life?

The meaning of life is a philosophical and existential question that has been pondered by humans for centuries. Many people believe that the meaning of life is subjective and can vary from person to person. Others believe that the meaning of life is to seek happiness, fulfill one's potential, or contribute to society.

Why do I exist?

The reason for our existence is a complex and mysterious concept. From a scientific perspective, we exist because of a series of biological and evolutionary processes that have led to the development of human beings. However, from a spiritual or religious perspective, our existence may have a deeper purpose or meaning.

How do I find my purpose in life?

Finding one's purpose in life is a personal and individual journey. Some people may find their purpose through self-reflection, trying new experiences, or seeking guidance from a mentor or therapist. It is important to remember that purpose can change and evolve throughout life, and it is okay to not have a clear purpose at all times.

Can my purpose in life change?

Yes, your purpose in life can change as you grow and evolve as a person. As you experience different stages of life, your priorities, values, and goals may also change, leading to a different purpose. It is important to be open to change and to continue to explore and discover your purpose throughout life.

Is it important to have a purpose in life?

Having a sense of purpose can bring meaning, fulfillment, and direction to our lives. It can help us set goals, make decisions, and overcome challenges. However, not having a clear purpose does not make one's life any less valuable or meaningful. Each person's journey is unique, and it is important to find what brings purpose and joy to your own life.