Effect of high frequency current on resistance

In summary, at high frequency (MHz scale), resistance R decreases due to "inductance L" and "capacitance C" characteristics of resistor. This model can explain mathematically why R decreases when frequency f increases. However, what I'm concerned about is the nature of the phenomenon. In any geometry of the resistor, there should be magnetic field, and that accounts for L. But if the resistor is just a straight wire, not a coil, how should we explain the existence of C? Besides, is there any paper or text analyzing this effect theoretically?
hikaru1221
Hi,

I found something quite interesting about resistance in my book. It says that at high frequency (MHz scale), resistance R decreases due to "inductance L" and "capacitance C" characteristics of resistor. So the resistor can be modeled as (Ro in series with L) // C (Ro denote the resistance in the model as to distinguish from R, which is the real effective resistance). The model can explain mathematically why R decreases when frequency f increases. However, what I'm concerned about is the nature of the phenomenon. In any geometry of the resistor, there should be magnetic field, and that accounts for L. But if the resistor is just a straight wire, not a coil, how should we explain the existence of C? Besides, is there any paper or text analyzing this effect theoretically?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again hikaru.You may find an answer by googling self capacitance and parasitic capacitance.:smile:

Thank you, Dadface :smile:
I think if it has something to do with self capacitance then there should be charge buildup somewhere in the circuit (and that also means there is charge depletion somewhere else). How can that happen?
And about parasitic capacitance, I guess we have to consider the geometry of the whole circuit. If so, then this effect isn't just on the resistor only, i.e. the same resistor put into different circuits will lead to different results. Am I correct?

hikaru1221 said:
Thank you, Dadface :smile:
I think if it has something to do with self capacitance then there should be charge buildup somewhere in the circuit (and that also means there is charge depletion somewhere else). How can that happen?
And about parasitic capacitance, I guess we have to consider the geometry of the whole circuit. If so, then this effect isn't just on the resistor only, i.e. the same resistor put into different circuits will lead to different results. Am I correct?

I have never really considered this in detail before but having given it some thought I think it's more to do with parasitic capacitance.I think one does have to consider the geometry of the whole circuit and I think that the capacitance is due the current at each part of the circuit being subjected to a resultant field due to the rest of the circuit.

Thanks.
It seems to me that in continuous conducting medium, there shouldn't be charge buildup. Maybe self capacitance is just a minor factor.
I was just wondering, if this has something to do with skin effect. Because at frequency in MHz range, for common conductor like copper, skin depth is just about 10^-2 mm. That means, there is non-uniform charge distribution along the conductor, so inside the conductor, there exists E-field.

Consider the resultant B field at any point in the circuit.The field will interact with the charge carriers and deflect them at 90 degrees to the current as in accordance with the left hand rule.An equilibrium will be reached where the electric force on each electron is balanced by the magnetic force.Basically the circuit is inducing a Hall Voltage the value of which at each point depends,amongst other things,on the value of B at that point.Since there can be differing charges at points of different potentials then there is in,in effect,a capacitive effect.Anyway,I have only just started thinking about this.I'm away for several days and shall get back to it.

1. What is high frequency current?

High frequency current is an alternating current that has a frequency of 100,000 Hz or higher. It is used in various applications such as radio communication, medical procedures, and industrial processes.

2. How does high frequency current affect resistance?

High frequency current can increase the resistance of a material due to skin effect, which causes the current to flow primarily on the surface of the material rather than through its entire cross-section. This can result in a higher effective resistance and can also cause the material to heat up.

3. Can high frequency current decrease resistance?

In some cases, high frequency current can decrease resistance. This is known as the proximity effect, where the current flowing through one conductor induces a current in a nearby conductor, causing a decrease in resistance. This effect is commonly seen in transformers and other electromagnetic devices.

4. How does the frequency of high frequency current affect its effect on resistance?

The higher the frequency of the current, the greater the skin and proximity effects. This means that as the frequency increases, the resistance of a material will also increase. However, the specific effects on resistance will vary depending on the properties of the material and the geometry of the conductors.

5. Are there any practical applications for the effect of high frequency current on resistance?

Yes, there are many practical applications for this phenomenon. High frequency currents are commonly used in induction heating, where the resistance of a material is increased due to skin effect, resulting in controlled and efficient heating. It is also used in high frequency welding, where the resistance of materials is increased to join them together. Additionally, the proximity effect is used in various electromagnetic devices such as transformers and motors.